Tablet PC with SSD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

From what I've been reading, people are getting the solid state hard drive because a typical SATA drive won't work above 9,000' cabin altitude. Well my cabin doesn't ever go above 8,000'. Also, I have never had a problem with a hard drive on my computer when I'm commuting.

Is it really that bad of an idea to get a tablet without a SSD? It will be used for electronic charts.

Mmmm? Never heard of that. I would think if it was an issue it would be common knowledge for a lot of folks in Colorado. I live at 8,000ft and have never had an issue with any of my 9 hdds. (laptops, desktops, ipods, tivo, backups)

From wikipedia:

"Hard disk drives require a certain range of air pressures in order to operate properly. The connection to the external environment and pressure occurs through a small hole in the enclosure (about 0.5 mm in diameter), usually with a filter on the inside (the breather filter).[44] If the air pressure is too low, then there is not enough lift for the flying head, so the head gets too close to the disk, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss. Specially manufactured sealed and pressurized disks are needed for reliable high-altitude operation, above about 3,000 m (10,000 feet)."

Learn something new everyday. I fly an unpressurized readily around 13,000 and have used my Dell on numerous occasions. Guess I won't be doing that anymore....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#cite_note-44

hyper said:
Learn something new everyday. I fly an unpressurized readily around 13,000 and have used my Dell on numerous occasions. Guess I won't be doing that anymore....

I too have used my Dell XT in a Cirrus between 10-15k...never had any problems.

Part 135 there might be approval concerns that require a SSD, but part 91 you don't need one...

While most of our cabins will rarely get up that high, SSD is really the way to go regardless. The MTBF of these types of drive is really high, and it's just much better technology. Anytime you can eliminate a moving device, the better.

Thanks for all the information! Has anybody here ever used the Anywhere Map Pro? Another option we were looking into.

Latest resources

Back