• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tab Express Closed, Scandal Again!!

Grove said:
You could rob a Key Bank. Seems only fair really....

:D

g

Just like making off with one of Airman's planes seemed fair to me at the time (and still does). Fair, but dangerous. I don't know how far one of those pieces would get me, especially if I was trying to outrun the "heat"....:rolleyes:

MFR

Ummm,

Let me get this straight...morgage your Grandmother to take out a 100k+ loan at rates that would make a loan shark blush, never see the money, and hand it to a place that has been in business for less than a couple of years, all in the name of a CHANCE of getting a job that pays 20k to start, and 60k is the best you wil EVER DO.

What am I missing here? Good god, just take the money and go to Med school in the Carribiean. At least people would call you "Doctor" then.

I swear this business creates more gambling addicts than Vegas.

Nu

I saw the report on channel 6 last night. It amazes me being that all these "students" had to do was spend a couple hours on the computer to find out the deal with places like Tab. To each his own, but I have no sympathy for people who go off and do stupid things like drop six figures without any real research before hand.

Lesson learned yet folks? Go to your local little mom and pops FBO and save $80-90g's. You may find that you don't even need to finance if you're making over $30g a year. Might have more fun, make more connections, and go at your own pace.
The only place I could see getting that loan for would be ATPs and that's only if you're on a do or die mission. The 90 day program is pure hell to go through from what I've heard but it's worth it considering the multi time you build and obtaining the CFII and MEI. And you're done in a few months. Just knock out all 5 writtens before you show.
Doooon't PFT!!

mcjohn said:
Lesson learned yet folks? Go to your local little mom and pops FBO and save $80-90g's. You may find that you don't even need to finance if you're making over $30g a year. Might have more fun, make more connections, and go at your own pace.
The only place I could see getting that loan for would be ATPs and that's only if you're on a do or die mission. The 90 day program is pure hell to go through from what I've heard but it's worth it considering the multi time you build and obtaining the CFII and MEI. And you're done in a few months. Just knock out all 5 writtens before you show.
Doooon't PFT!!

A big +1

About Tab Express

C601 said:
And to make matters worse, the Students who where left out to dry with Tab, where given the option i think by Key bank to finish there training @ Gulfstream, which meant they had to take another loan out......

A person I spoke to who attended Tab, transfered to Gulfstream told me as soon as they get hired by a Regional carrier, some where going to file for BK, as they knew they where going to be unable to pay back the money, b/c of what had gone on with TAB

I asked him how much he borrowed total $115K of which is grandmother co-signed for him.....

There were alot of posts on a thread back in july '05.Do a search on Tab Express.READ the POSTS!!!!

rvsm410 said:
Reminds me of the redTails at Orlando exec a few years back...just a FYI post..
There would be some people that would tell you the ATA "salesmen" were also TAB employees.

These same people would also tell you that these "salesmen" were expensing personal expenses through TAB.

Oh, and about the $90k car, ferrari's cost MUCH more than that!

flying_gringo said:
didn't you (the student) sign on the dotted line having read the contract and agree to ride the ride and take your chances?

isn't that part of the deal? the lender lends the money in accordance with the agreement you signed, and you hope the folks you designate act in accordance with your goals?

is there no responsiblily on your behalf? when stuff goes wrong I agree it sucks - but the risk was there before the contract was signed. don't be mad at the lender, isn't TAB to blame?

had it all worked out and you had made your dream job and had your very own 777 with your name under the window you wouldn't be angry or happier with key bank - they did their part, so why are you mad now?

its not predatory lending - some idiot signed it and agreed to the terms.

that's a stupid tax. learn now or pay it again and again.
However what makes this so fishy is that TAB was granted a TON of money. They had I think 4 or 5 Beech 1900D's, and they constantly flew them, on top of that they NEVER started their planned commercial service. So the collateral is OBVIOUSLY on the planes, the buildings, materials, and guess who? The students :) It's easy to get millions of dollars in financing if you in essence sign the burden of debt onto the shoulders of the student, but you put that in such vague legal bref, and in such little print, nobody is going to want to read it. Sounds predatory to me.

I think Key loaned TAB the money with the [low] expectation that they'll one day be able to pay it back b/c they were making cash for themselves. Sounds predatory to me.

Remember TAB's philosophy, if you get drafted into their hiring class, they'll pay for all your training, as long as you promise to work for them for 'X' amount of years. It's like Delta Connection Academy, only difference is that the company subsidizes all your costs as a student. Sets the stage up for predatory lending....

Hence why we have all this mess.

Sorry to all the people at TAB who got screwed. Delta Connection probably won't be shutting their doors there anytime soon, probably you're next best idea on how to become a career pilot. Just take another loan, you'll be making $350,000 a year in about 10.

Latest resources

Back