• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
hey, gang,

Recently started flying a t-6 for a guy and was interested in picking up some tips for acro in it.

PM me if you're around the atlanta area and want to go fly, especially if you want to split fuel!

Otherwise:

Power settings? I assume 2000 rpm(?)

Do I really need to unload it that much in the top of a roll to keep it from "split s" ing?

etc....etc...

Thanks!!

I know one thing for sure, dont tailslide it.... It doesn't recover very well from that. That is why you shouldn't pull fully vertical for a hammer. Most people are positive on the up line for that reason.

There are some tapes for sale that were made during world war II that teach the original army air corps aerobatics. I will look for the link to the site, if I can find it again. Anyone else seen that site??

I hope you were checked out properly, to include spins. I would strongly recommend against teaching yourself aerobatics in the Texan without a good solid background with spins and spin recovery, the departure and recover are unlike other airplanes. Not difficult, just very different. Stalling and departing out of a hammerhead at 4000' is not the place you want to be introduced.

I also hope your're very familiar with the dash one, the T-6 is not to be treated like another GA airplane. (If you're flying one, you probably know that.:D )

It's been a decade, I still have some spin stuff that is expanded beyond section VI, but I've long since forgotten the aerobatics particulars.

Last edited:
Pretty straight forward ie loops rolls cubans, never really tried anything to crazy. get some dual before you spin it and stay away from anything outside. Also always double check the static drain is closed. or you could over boost the eng.

Thanks to all for the info so far. Honestly loops, rolls, and cubans and maybe a stall turn or two are about all I'm interested in. I'd certainly save anything "outside" for a different airplane.

I've been planning on spending an afternoon just getting more conversant with the stall/spin characteristics of this thing. I'm familiar with it's ugly stall habits, but I have not spun it as of yet. What's the brief on them? I'll spend a little time getting more spin current in the L-19 before hand, for sure. That things spins like crazy, but easily. Thoughts?

Keep it coming!

You've got a PM svcta.. Give Joey a call, he's a pretty took stick in that T-6.. Took Silver (I think) in Reno his 2nd year out.. and to top it off, he's a heck of a guy..

Concerning your question about spins:

Breaks violently, winds up quickly and takes several turns for the recovery to take. Its a both hands on the stick sort of thing. Some of those airplanes have an SNJ wing on one side, with a Texan on the other, make sure you've got the chutes on, if I recall there were several WWII accidents where standard recovery didn't work.

-Apply full opposite rudder
-Count off two seconds
-Apply aggresive forward stick pressure
-Nuetralize rudder as rotation stops

Minimum recovery is 5000' above terrain.

Grab an experienced T-6 dude and you'll have a blast.

. get some dual before you spin it and stay away from anything outside.

One thing to understand, if you spin a T-6, you are in violation. There is a required placard in each cockpit to state "Intentional Spinning Prohibited". This is an FAA type certificate data sheet requirement. In an aft CG condition, the aircraft may not recover from a spin. During wartime training missions, in some instances, the aircraft would not recover from a spin, the instructor in the back seat would bail out, and the student was able to recover due to the CG shift without the 200 lbs back there.

Im a CFII down in orlando, and a student of mine treated me to an hour of acro in a SNJ. My only previous aerobatic experience was in a super decathelon, but my impression on the T-6 was it is a big *************************cat. It was really docile, but you can still throw it around a little. On the climb out to the practice area we did a couple stalls, with flaps and without. One broke over and the wing dropped into the beginnings of a spin, i relaxed for a sec and then made a smooth recovery. The instructor was telling me the reason intentional spins are prohibited is that the airplane won't fly itself out of the spin if controls are released, and that after about 2 spins, it tightens up a bit.

Anyways we did the full show of rolls, loops, immelmans, split s, clovers, regular and reverse cuban 8's, you name it we did it. I had a blast and a great new respect for the famed "pilot maker"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back