T-38 replacement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

a recent air force magazine article said the AF is looking to replace the T38 starting 2018. My question is instead of designing a new aircraft wouldn't a 2 seat f-16 be a good replacement?

While the ANG is saying they need fighters (because their current are worn out) why not just make a run of say 600 block 50 or 60 F-16's. Wikipedia shows we have 462 t38's in service.

600 new f-16's could be 400 D models engineered/moded for training as t38 replacements and the other 200 C models to go to the guard as general combat f16's complementing the F-35.

I bet it would be way cheaper than designing/testing/starting production on a new aircraft.

Can you believe that the AF bought each T-38 for around 500Gs. Round that up to todays dollars and I bet you couldn't touch a Block 50/60, not to mention the numbers of planes, fuel cost, parts..so on and so forth.

They will just buy some European crap like everything else they buy these days!

One of our T-38's just went over 18,000 hours. Critical parts are breaking and killing people. Yeah, I'm guessing we need to start getting a replacement.

If not an F-16, how about a stripped down F-18? Certainly easier to fly and land than the t-38. And probably not any more cost than a new "trainer".

The T-50 Golden Eagle looks great, too. But the costs in the media are $25M per copy. Could probably do a nonb-missionized Hornet for that.

If the goal of 2018 is met, the newest T-38's in the fleet will be 48 years old.

having worked the program and seen it inside and out, i would like to see cessna bid with their original jpats proof that they bid against the T-6 in the 90's. .it was a tandem twin jet with very low wing load, alot of power and very nice avionics. had a slightly more aggressive variant of the 500 series wing (similar to a swept tweet wing) and williams engines. I thought it was a better product than the T-6 but cessna didnt have the political pull. only issue i see is that it wasn't supersonic (around .85 ish). At the time it was bid at around 5 mil a copy (ca. 1996).

http://www.cessnawarbirds.com/book/images/Ch17.jpg

I think it's gonna come down to the M-346 and BA Hawk MK128. I would give the Hawk the edge as it is already being Built for the US Navy by Boeing and would allow the US to save money over parts and logistics freeing up more money for bigger projects like the 2018 bomber or Predator C. Which I will ask I noticed the Media as claiming the 2018 Bomber is gonna be built by Boeing Lockheed what happened to the Northrop design? I never read anywhere that Boeing was selected as the winner also they are saying its gonna be unmanned. I thought Congress would have to pass a bill allowing this as I would assume the 2018 bomber will carry Nuclear weapons? why build a bomber that can't carry party crashers.

One of our T-38's just went over 18,000 hours. Critical parts are breaking and killing people. Yeah, I'm guessing we need to start getting a replacement.

If not an F-16, how about a stripped down F-18? Certainly easier to fly and land than the t-38. And probably not any more cost than a new "trainer".

The T-50 Golden Eagle looks great, too. But the costs in the media are $25M per copy. Could probably do a nonb-missionized Hornet for that.

If the goal of 2018 is met, the newest T-38's in the fleet will be 48 years old.

Come on Huggy - the T-38 hard to fly? Seriously? At 350 kts it's as stable as a rock. You f**k up, sure it will bite you - but so will any other high performance jet.

Come on Huggy - the T-38 hard to fly? Seriously? At 350 kts it's as stable as a rock. You f**k up, sure it will bite you - but so will any other high performance jet.
No argument there. But re-read my post, Scrappy. I never said the T-38 was hard to fly. I said the F-18 was easier to land.
I'm certainly no "fighter pilot" like you, but I've had a great opportunity to fly the -15, -16, and -18 a handful of times each. Just from a "stick and rudder" perspective, all were quite simple to fly... as they should be.

I have about a dozen landings from the backseat of the Hornet (B and D models). And compared with the T-38,... whose prototype flew 50 years ago this year,... the flight characteristics are refined and impressive. And pattern work was way easy. As long as I've been flying the T-38, you'd think I'd land it better from the backseat than I actually do,... but in any case, my Hornet lands were probably better than my -38 landings.

I, too, read "Road to Wings" and am often a touch surprised at how people are able to wreck a T-38 doing very simple things. But like you say "f-up, sure it will bite you".

Latest resources

Back