Switching Careers to Law Enforcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

veneratio

I am curious if anyone has quit their regional and began a career in Law Enforcement. If you have, any pros or cons to doing it?

I know of lot of ex-cops who fly for the regionals...

If you're going to do it, try for federal. Or LAPD if you want to make big money and aren't afraid of getting shot at and shooting back.

Most departments where I am located have a pension after 20 years, and you start off about 55k and much more with overtime. I was just looking at different options and was curious about the QOL in law enforcement.

I know of some captains who claim to deny jumpseats for some pretty stupid reasons.

That's sort of like being a cop?

True or False?

I can tell you in Northern Kentucky and in Cincinnati that departments are actually cutting back sworn officers due to state budgets hurting so bad. I imagine this is true in lots of states.

Budget hurting, or politicians afraid of losing their jobs, so they try and save money by cutting necessary government jobs?

I would definately recomend trying for a big city department, they usually have more opprotunity for advancement and they hire in great numbers. While there are good departments all over the country I would strongly consider looking at the ones out west (LAPD, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Fran PD, LASD, Annaheim, ect). Most of the big departments out west work either 3/12's or 4/10's, have good training, room for advancement, and good pensions ect...also working a compressed schedule gives you time to teach on the side or maybe pick up some contract work.

Speaking of LAPD, they are in a big hiring mode right now. Starting pay with a college degree is $62,000. They also have a pretty good flying unit that includes 16 helicopters and a king air. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back