• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sweet Home Alabama?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why have you chosen Montgomery, Alabama already? Do you have family or some type of interest there?

Well, some speedy responses! errmmmm not to sure about the shooting bit, (here we just give burglars a really nasty look). As to why Montgomery; it's because of a possible employment opportunity for my wife (who appreciated the co-ed highlight) in the area. However it sounds a better bet to be out of town... maybe away from a stock car circuit..... Auburn sounds good (co-eds aside) and opens up Atlanta airport for flying jobs. So then, without wishing to start a salary debate.... or a gun fight..... or bring God into it, I noticed that regional jet FO salaries are a little low, have I misread (American Eagle 19$us/hr)? Would I be better off trying for netjets or a corporate outfit? We are still excited and now also very amused so any further suggestions......

Misread... nope..

A brit moving to Alabama...

this should be good!

Montgomery...Mayfair...same thing.

:)

holy sweet jesus are you in for a culture shock.

Do you like Nascar, F150s, and Walmart?

jaarrgh said:
...I noticed that regional jet FO salaries are a little low, have I misread (American Eagle 19$us/hr)?
Even the Brits are poking fun at how terrible our aviation payscales are. ;)

YES, you read that correctly. Think hard about that before you make the big leap across the pond!

I grew up in the Southeast US, and I agree with most of the posts here. There are more things to do than watch races or football games and shoot at burglers. Though, sometimes you might think not. There is quite a bit of culture there. You may have to go to Montgomery, Birmingham, Atlanta, etc... to find some of it. There is quite a bit of rural area in the Southeast, that is something you might not be used to. Small town life can be really nice. The people are generally friendly, but the sense of humor is different that of you Brits. You might want to try renting "Blue Collar Comedy Tour the Movie." It is 4 guys doing standup comedy. Just please realize, they are making fun of a small part our population.

As for the job prospects, I don't THINK, there is much corporate aviation in Montgomery. The fractionals might be your best bet, at least until you learn the area. Also, be advised, the pay scale for pilots in the SE is just about the lowest in the country. I'm currently living in Texas ONLY because the pay is better.

Oh, one more thing. We drink our beer cold here.

Best of luck.

Having lived in the UK before...someone beat me to this...

holy sweet jesus are you in for a culture shock.

You're gonna stand out like a sore thumb. Hope you have a thick skin cause you're gonna meet a bunch of unintentional racism not because you're different but because you are!

Good luck...

Eric
(Maidenhead, 1975-76)

Moving to MGM

You'll do fine. Especially if your wife's job oppurtunity will fund your new Bass Boat and pickup. You'll also need a dog box and gun rack.
In reality, most people in the south are pleasant and "salt of the earth types". I've heard a lot of good things about Prattville. Just check out the schools before you choose. The one time I couldn't control where I lived (US Air Force did that) It cost me $600/ month for private school and I got off lucky. Hey, but that was Ohio!
good weather, good golf, good food. cheaper cost of living.

There is a really good article, by Hal Stoen, about moving to the south. Mr. Stoen was a corporate pilot in the upper midwest for a very long time, and elected to move to the south.

Like much of his writings, this is a good read.
http://stoenworks.com/Southern%20Nights.html

I grew up in Birmingham, was graduated from Auburn University and currently live about 90 miles south of Montgomery.

I would definitely shoot for Auburn. Very nice college town. Not too far from Atlanta.

As for the redneck image - well, the Alabama Shakespeare Festival is in Montgomery: http://www.asf.net/index.aspx. Y'all don't let the facts get in the way, now.

Now Mobile - THAT is a redneck city....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back