Sweet Home Alabama?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jaarrgh

My family and I may have the opportunity to relocate from the UK to Montgomery, Alabama in the next year or so. I currently fly a Dash 8 for a large UK regional operator but will be on the Embraer 145 by the time we would move. My questions are twofold. Firstly is life in the South an appealing prospect for most? Secondly can you commute for an operator based in Atlanta, Georgia if not then is there much going on for a pilot in Alabama (I'll take what I can get)!? I am actually very excited about the prospect and it should be quite a laugh, but I have oh so many questions. Any help or advice you have for a travelling Brit then please go ahead.......

Depends on where in the Gump you move..

Some of it is nice, some of it is eh.. not so nice.. My sister just moved out of the Gump..

The commute to Atlanta is not a bad one if your willing to drive 1.5-2 hours..

I love life in the south, I can't see anywhere I'd rather live more, but I've lived here all my life.. :)

Firstly is life in the South an appealing prospect for most?

Having relocated from Connecticut to Atlanta several years ago I can recommend the South, if not Atlanta specifically. At this point I have a hard time seeing myself moving back to the Northeast.

I like the fact that I can be out playing golf or riding my bike in January while my family is digging themselves out from under a foot of snow in New England. Summers can definitely be steamy, but you get used to it. If you like water he Gulf Coast is great (except for the hurricanes) and the Carolina/Georgia coastline ranks right up there too. If mountains are more your thing the Appalachians give you a lot to work with there as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love New England from April through October (and even miss the snow on occasion) but overall the South is hard to beat.

Just don't live in Atlanta. ;)

I live an hour south of MGM. I love this area that I am in. I am not sure I would live in MGM but rather find an area out side of MGM. Euphalla(sp), Titus,Prattville or the Troy area Luverne,Pine Level etc. MGM is a litlle too big city for me personally as its kinda like Beirut in some areas and I moved from Jacksonville, Fl too leave that behind. We are not all uneducated or racists as some would have you believe. The small town I live in is a throwback to some of the best things about growing up 40 years ago. Our small heating oil company even has "Honest John" pumps 24/7 you write the Diesel you get whether its on or off road diesel. Alot of unlocked vehicles and houses still as folks feel safe, but on the other hand it could have something to do with the fact the criminal element around here is well aware of the fact we shoot back and we hit what we aim at. I am extremely happy with the life but lookm hard at the schools if you havre children. We were fortunate as the little grade school and High School are the gems of the county. The other schools are not fit for man or beast. Good luck with the move......................

Yeh, you don't wanna live in INNER Montgomery.. Beirut is a good analogy for it. ;)

I grew up in Montgomery, but have lived in North Atlanta for the past 35 years. I drive back to MGM two or three times a year. Anyone that thinks that you can make the trip in 1.5 hours is dreaming. It`s a 3 hour trip at 70mph from north ATL. Try driving it at 90mph and you`ll be listening to a big old cop, in mirror front sun glasses as he says "Boy, you are in a heap of trouble". Listen to MD11Drvr`s advice about living in a small town outside of MGM...real good advice.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

jaarrgh said:
My family and I may have the opportunity to relocate from the UK to Montgomery, Alabama in the next year or so........

Oh, this is gonna be good. *Please* promise to keep us updated!

"Y'all tawk real funny. Where're y'all from anyway?"

From what I have observed(just a passing thru type) Prattville would probly be the best choice..And what retired guy said about going to Atlanta is pretty spot on, cept it would probly take you 3 hours just to get out of the Atlanta quagmire<sp?> traffic that is present on almost ALL the interstates in the metro area..And you better have your speed up about 80mph(when the traffic IS moving) on I285(even tho posted speed limit is 55mph) or you WILL be run over!

Auburn is a great town 45min east of MGM. It's also only about 90min from ATL. Good public schools for the kids and a ton of new development. Still retains some small town charm. Oh, and if you like football (American), Auburn is a great place to be in the fall. Tons of young coeds that make the scenery so nice.

War D*mn Eagle!

Are you an uber conservitive who never misses church on Sunday and Wednesday, are obsessed with "stock" cars driving around in endless left-hand circles, and your idea of heaven is a night race in Talladega after an afternoon snoozeball...I mean football game?

If so, the south's for you. If not, think long and hard.....

(donning flame-retardant suit in my house about 70 north of MGM)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back