Lampshade

December 2, 2011

Captain Michael Cleary

President

US Airlines Pilots Association

200 East Woodlawn Road, Suite 250

Charlotte, NC 28217

Captain Cleary,

I am sending this letter to follow up on a phone conversation we had on November 18 regarding the communication piece you sent to your USAPA membership on November 6th. While your choice of legal counsel for USAPA is your business, I find it both inappropriate and unprofessional for you to publicly speak about other unions’ relationships with said counsel. In this case, such public correspondence is particularly problematic because your information is both misleading and inaccurate.

In your November 6th letter, you stated that SWAPA “terminated their relationship with Seham just this year for "incompetence and billing irregularities". It should be noted that SWAPA did not have a long-standing relationship with Seham, Seham, Meltz & Petersen, so there was no relationship to be “terminated”. We hired Mr. Seham’s firm for a single System Board of Adjustment/Arbitration in Spring of 2010 in which we were attempting to get a pilot reinstated after a termination. The firm had been recommended to SWAPA by another Southwest union that uses the firm regularly. SWAPA chose to hire outside counsel for that arbitration because the subject-matter relating to the pilot’s termination was specialized, and Mr. Seham’s firm had done extensive work in that field. That single arbitration is the only experience SWAPA had with Mr. Seham’s firm. When that arbitration concluded, our relationship with the firm also ended. They were not “terminated” by SWAPA for either incompetence or billing irregularities. We elected to not use them going forward at that time.

Because your letter to the USAPA membership is misleading and inaccurate, I again request (this time in writing) that you retract the statements made to your membership and issue a correction about SWAPA’s past business dealings with Seham, Seham, Meltz & Petersen.

Sincerely,

Steve Chase

President

Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association

Captain Chase may be a Southwesticle Pilot, but I fail to see how you can call him a "Disgruntled Westicle Pilot".
Care to explain???

Anybody that CAN'T tell yet that Mike Cleary is a complete embarrassment to this profession needs their license revoked.

D.W.P

Disgruntled Westicle Pilot

Is this from a disgruntled westicle?

I spoke with Steve Chase today at 1:35 PM, Wednesday January 25th, 2011. I had heard that there was a letter to from Steve Chase to Mike Cleary regarding comments made by Mike Cleary about SWAPA’s relationship with Lee Seham.

I wanted to see if he would speak with me about this issue. We spoke at some length and he sent me the letter, (see above), that he sent to Mike.

Steve Chase and SWAPA do not condone or agree with Mike’s characterization of Lee Seham and they dispute his assertion that SWAPA fired Lee over billing issues. They used Lee for a very narrow issue arbitration and then went back to their former counsel when Lee’s services were no longer required.

Additionally Steve Chase advised me that his opinion of Mike Cleary is that Mike Cleary is so disruptive of the CAPA process that if he remains as the CAPA Representative that SWAPA may pull out of CAPA. He stated that the CAPA board has considered asking USAPA to leave CAPA but has declined to do so as USAPA’s National Officer elections are about to begin. They will await the outcome of the USAPA election before taking any action.

This is how the outside world and the pilots of other independent Unions view our leadership.

Stephen H Bradford

January 25, 2012

D.W.P

Disgruntled Westicle Pilot

You sound frustrated. I would too if I was an east pilot. You guys are not doing anything to help yourselves, or this industry.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is some red meat in there for a slander lawsuit if Lee wants to press this matter.

Actually if it is in writing then the tort lawsuit would be for Libel. Slander is the spoken work whilst Libel is written; in regard to defamation.

That will be 100 dollars please.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back