• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA yes vote:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thinking of all those that think GK isn't going to want to lose 100s of millions by not combining both companies, just a thought, he loses Swa that already for not charging bag fees! He's doing whats right for the external customer, does anyone have any evidence that GK won't do what's right to his existing internal customer, meaning his current employees.

Still waiting...
He's not going to respond, nor am I.

The attorneys we have are happy with the language, and that's good enough for me. Nothing is "perfect" and nothing is "foolproof", on either side. It's a gamble to have to go the legal avenue, plain and simple, for either side. Any lawyer that would tell you different isn't painting a fair picture of real-world possibilities.

As far as the MV letter, you can "doubt" all you want, but it's very clear on two major points. First, he committed that Southwest is a "successor" as defined by our CBA Section 1 language (which requires adherence by Southwest to our ENTIRE CBA). Second, he committed specifically to adhering to our acquisition language in Section 1.

Neither of those statements or anything else in the letter was an "if" or "when".

Of course Southwest *COULD* operate us separately, but only for a defined period of time, then it gets REALLY messy, and that's not the bad part. The bad part is that it costs in the neighborhood of $200 million a year (over $250k a DAY) to operate us separately with our corporate overhead that's necessary to do so.

There's a REASON Southwest management is pushing for this deal to be done as soon as possible. I'm in full support of our respective negotiators to hammer our part of it out and move forward.

Thinking of all those that think GK isn't going to want to lose 100s of millions by not combining both companies, just a thought, he loses Swa that already for not charging bag fees! He's doing whats right for the external customer, does anyone have any evidence that GK won't do what's right to his existing internal customer, meaning his current employees.

The bag fees are recaptured by higher fares (your fares are higher on similar segments than ours), so Southwest isn't losing anything once SOC happens and the routes can be priced as per Southwest rates. Just one of the little tidbits that has come out since BJ took over the helm.

If, and I mean if, SWA decided to join the two airlines, one being held in Texas Sub LLC, the AirTran CBA would have some teeth. But you are being held in a different holding company being controlled by SWA. They are legally two separate entities. The AirTran CBA is in effect with Texas Sub LLC but not with SWA.

Think what you will but there are no legal obligations for SWA to recognize the 18 month merger or integration scope clause in your CBA if SWA decides not to merge Texas Sub LLC with SWA.

Argue with this all you want but this is the fact. It sucks for certain. But this is what your former management agreed to. As if they are going to have the last word on a five year labor dispute. Just be glad their gone no matter what the price. But you do have other concerns now. As long as everyone is reasonable, SWA pilots included, you are in a much better position now than you were on September 26th.

Spot on as usual, Sy-bill.

Gonna be twice as long to upgrade
to Captain at SW as Airtran.

Seems like less career expectation
Rather than more!

Kwick,

Except for the fact that ALL AII FOs will upgrade (compared to their current rate) as soon as they are on the swa cba. Instantly! No going to training, commuting across country to sit reserve. Then they get ANOTHER huge raise when they eventually do upgrade.

A third less in benefits costs?

Best 401k in the US!

And the list goes on n on ... How can you say this with a straight face? Really, less career expectations? Really?

And the list goes on n on ... How can you say this with a straight face? Really, less career expectations? Really?

I think this one statement pretty much sums up what alot of Southwest guys see on this form. Give me mine, and here's a kick in the sack for good measure. (Not everyone, but most)

As far as the MV letter, you can "doubt" all you want, but it's very clear on two major points. First, he committed that Southwest is a "successor" as defined by our CBA Section 1 language (which requires adherence by Southwest to our ENTIRE CBA). Second, he committed specifically to adhering to our acquisition language in Section 1.

Neither of those statements or anything else in the letter was an "if" or "when".

Of course Southwest *COULD* operate us separately, but only for a defined period of time, then it gets REALLY messy, and that's not the bad part. The bad part is that it costs in the neighborhood of $200 million a year (over $250k a DAY) to operate us separately with our corporate overhead that's necessary to do so.

There's a REASON Southwest management is pushing for this deal to be done as soon as possible. I'm in full support of our respective negotiators to hammer our part of it out and move forward.

The above quote is a bump for Flycatcher

Last edited:
If, and I mean if, SWA decided to join the two airlines, one being held in Texas Sub LLC, the AirTran CBA would have some teeth. But you are being held in a different holding company being controlled by SWA. They are legally two separate entities. The AirTran CBA is in effect with Texas Sub LLC but not with SWA.

Wrong. We have a holding company side letter that applies not only any holding company, but also to holding companies of holding companies. You could have 20 layers of holding companies, and it would still be binding. It was written specifically to prevent the sort of end-run that you're contemplating. Not that I think SWA management has any intent of doing such a ridiculous thing, anyway.

Second, he committed specifically to adhering to our acquisition language in Section 1.

I haven't read it in a while, and can't find it now, but didn't Mike VdV's letter that you refer to contain language to the effect of:

".....to the extent required by law."

Why would that be in there?

The bag fees are recaptured by higher fares (your fares are higher on similar segments than ours), so Southwest isn't losing anything once SOC happens and the routes can be priced as per Southwest rates. Just one of the little tidbits that has come out since BJ took over the helm.
I'd have to look at the fare differences, but at 40-80-120 sale thru nov, I am hard pressed to believe at those rates AAI competes closely with those fares, if that was the case Jordan would be raising fares as to not to compete against each other for pax when all profits now go to SWA corp. My point was SWA leaves millions upon millions off the profit sharing table and out of investors hands by not charging for bags on any flights, even thoughs where there is zero competition. even at $5 a bag and 25 pax pay that per flight at 3000 flights a day thats 135 million/yr. So, those thinking he won't leave money on the table to make sure his legacy remains intact with current employees for 100mil(potential loss from not combining the 2 carriers spouted on FI) may need to consider that. I just posed a question to cite an example of GK not putting his current employees first.

Latest resources

Back