SWA, what are my chances???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

I am a USMC jet instructor(former AV-8B pilot) here in Kingsville, Tx. I am an Embry-Riddle grad (Aeronautical Science B.S.) and a graduate of the Aviation Safety Officer's Course, Naval Post-Graduate School. I will have my 1500 hrs turbine/1000 hrs turbine PIC by late summer as well as around 365hrs civilian time for around 1900 TT. I intend to get my ATP/737 type also by this summer. Currently hold Commercial, MEI ratings. What are my chances of getting on with Southwest in your opinion?? Also, if I put my app in by early fall 03, when could I expect an interview and class begin? I appreciate any feedback.

The tea leaves say....

your chances are GREAT! But you are just now getting to competetive times so keep improving that total turbine PIC until you get where you want to be. Nobody can accuratly predict when the current pool of "hired" floks will be drained nor when interviews will start. They have a lot of qualified applicants on file awaiting interviews so the soonest you can get the type, the sooner you'll get in the que. I wouldn't be shocked if you applied in fall of 03 and didn't interview untill fall of 04 to start class in mid 05. But this is PURE speculation: if the predictions of explosive growth come true next year everything will change over night, as they will if a war with Iraq lasts too long.

Obviously a lot of really important factors are out of your control. Make sure you control the factors you can: keep flying, stay clean and healthy, get the type.

Best o' luck
Semper Fi

Start filling out the app now

Don't wait till you have the TYPE start your app paperwork. Start to work on it now. And keep it updated and ready to send in.

When I did my type, the other guys that had thier paperwork ready, updated the app with the new Date and Type Rating, and walked it into the SWA People Department that day. We were in Dallas at HigherPower, so that worked out well.

Point being, I have seen a lot of people (me being one of those) delay getting thier apps in. If I would have sent in my app a week earlier, I would have interviewed pre- 9/11, and would be in class already. But I didn't, now I am still 142 in the unofficial pool. Hoping to get in Late May/Early June.

good advice opie...

Get you app in NOW!

By the time they get around to where it will be in the pile you will have your type done.... you will most definately be interviewed sooner by getting the app in now. Heck, the initial paperwork is only 4 or 5 pages.....

Get it in now and update with your type when it is done!!!

Good Luck - Tred

OOPS, sorry - I forgot you had to have your type to apply after Nov 1,2002... sorry - SO, get typed asap - then put your app in NOW!?!?:eek:

Last edited:
Thought you had to have the type to apply as of Nov 1st 2002.

Has that changed?

Fly Safe and god luck to all trying to get on at SWA.

Chuck

CG, you are right.
You DO have to have 1000 turbine PIC, and as of Nov 2002, you DO have to have a 737 type to even apply. I wouldn't waste your time and theirs trying to get around the system by applying before you have the published mins.
Having said that, ABSOLUTELY get your stuff in the second you get the mins. Your chances are just about 100% of getting the interview once you apply with the appropriate ratings and hours.

OPIE is right!

If I had put my app in at bare minimums instead of waiting until I thought I was competitive, I would be flying now like all my buddies instead of swimming. At least I might be in the same class as OPIE!

Put in your app now - you can always send in updates highlighting important flight time changes as often as you need.

Good luck,
Les

Fellas or Fellines

Intel33, Rotor Trash and SWannabee,

I need your emails to send it to you

Gracias,

SR

Opie was right, type your app up minus the 737 type date and then hand it in when you get the type rating (and you have the minimum flight time.)
UGA, dude, you just can't apply here without meeting the published mins. Today, that means you can't apply without the type rating. (Pre 11-1-02 you could apply without the type, and later update it with the type if you got it.)

my fault..

on the get you app in now thing... I forgot about the Nov 1 change back to having the type BEFORE turning in your app.... I just get all excited talking about new folks applying - it makes me think that they are draining the pool, or something....:D

Tred

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back