SWA vs UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ups

There is another thread with a very similar question so I copied & pasted my previous reply…

Stay at SWA or go to UPS
Lowpayisgreat -
I have very little time at SWA and offered UPS interview. If hired what do you think

Lowpayisgreat -
I was in your shoes not too long ago, however my dilemma was quite the opposite to yours; I was finishing ioe at UPS when SWA called me for an interview. I’d been trying to get hired with UPS for so many years that I didn’t really think much about it; however I was surprised to hear from SWA since I still have no 737 type and it had been at least a year since my last online application update. Who knows, if I interviewed maybe they’d have hired me or maybe they wouldn’t? I do realize how lucky I was to even be in the position I was in; of course, it took me many, many years to get an interview with UPS.

Nevertheless, I’ve always dreamed of international flying so I wasn’t even thinking about switching back to domestic flying. SWA schedules wouldn’t really bother me as those were the schedules I was flying at my previous job. Some other things that made my decision even easier was the A and B plan at UPS which I think is far greater than a “promise” of a profit sharing – even though I know it has a good record. Still, in my mind it’s better when you know the exact dollar figure going into your Fidelity account every year as opposed to a profit sharing plan. Another “minor” reason, even though it really wasn’t that important, was the fact I’d become a guppy-driver for years to come – no offense, but I had about 2 years worth of guppy-flying under my belt and for some reason I found the airplane sort of docile and boring…I know it sounds stupid to even worry about that as a pilot, and it wasn’t a deal breaker by no means, but it just added another plus for choosing UPS.

So far I’m very happy with the decision I made and I hope I’ll feel the same way 25/30/35… years from now (depending on the retirement age at the time ;))

Regardless, both airlines are great companies to work for and I decided to stick with the one I think will make me happier. Good luck with your decision. Btw, if you choose UPS – you’ll have to change your screen name to greatpayisgreat! (of course, I know swa pays well too)

And here’s some additional info…

As far as "cargo means night flying only" - there’s plenty of night AND day flying here. I do not make it up because I want everyone to know the truth before they make up their mind – there’s nothing worst than having to fly with a captain or a copilot who hates to be working for the same company you're working for. So research is always good!

I am a junior guy (~1 year) yet quite often I manage to get day flying schedules; I think most guys/gals bid specific days off rather than specifically day or night flying. My schedule for the next month and a half only has day flying (we bid 2 months at a time but I trip-traded one sequence).

Here are our departure times followed by our arrival times for this sequence (local times): Mon* 8: 10am-9: 15am (I do a quick commercial fight on SWA and go to the hotel, 1 leg - 1: 05hr), Tue 5: 52am – 12: 55pm (1 leg -4: 03hrs), Wed 3pm – 4: 35pm (1 leg, 4: 35hrs), Thu* 8: 00am ~ 6: 30pm (I commercial on the airline of my choice – in this case I fly AA first class from West coast to East coast and go to the hotel, 2 legs, blocked for ~6 1/2hrs total - don't have commercial flight info in front of me), Fri 3: 25pm-5: 39pm (1 leg, 5: 14hrs). *Just to clarify - Mon and Thu I deadhead only - I do not fly myself.

Now I am off for a week and then my schedule repeats itself. I do not have the trip-traded sequence schedule with me but I think it’s a mixed day/night flying week, however since I needed a specific day off I traded my day-flying only sequence for it.

Note, surely we have some crappy schedules but you’ll see that at every airline. I am giving you those examples just to show you that even a fairly junior guy can get to fly daytrips. Who knows, my next bid period I might only get night flying but it’s still not as bad as some people make it out to be. Of course, if you think you’ll hate it - you probably will! - because your mind is already preconditioned to hate it.

Either way, back to the original question - both SWA & UPS are great places to be however your happiness probably depends more on you and what you would like to do than on the airline itself. If you’re fortunate to have a choice please remember that the rumor all SWA pilots fly 7-8 legs every day is as true as the rumor all flying at UPS (or Fedex) happens at night.

So make a choice and know that you’ll be content and (hopefully) happy at either airline.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Any examples of the international schedules out of ANC or MIA? What about crew meals and beverages for domestic and international flying?
Thanks

Any examples of the international schedules out of ANC or MIA? What about crew meals and beverages for domestic and international flying?
Thanks

Here's one of our MD11 lines out of ANC.

MO M11 ANC 1715 KIX 0117 08:02 Block KIX 27:23 Layover
WE M11 KIX 0610 TPE 0853 02:43 Block TPE 18:47 Layover
TH 773 TPE 0610 HKG 0755 01:45 Deadhead HKG 14:15 Layover
TH M11 HKG 2340 ALA 0515 05:35 Block ALA 24:00 Layover
SA M11 ALA 0645 CDG 1415 07:30 BlockCDG 58:15 Layover
TU M11 CDG 0200 DEL 0958 07:58 BlockDEL 23:57 Layover
WE M11 DEL 1125 PVG 1732 06:07 BlockPVG 17:43 Layover
TH M11 PVG 1245 ANC 2114 08:29 Block
LDGS: 7 BLOCK HRS: 46:24 CREDIT HRS: 61:22 TAFB: 24

I tried 3 times to get those stupid purple faces out of there, but no luck. Oh well.

Just doing a little opinion poll for a buddy:

If you were offered a class at SWA and one at UPS starting the same day, which would you go to?

Lucky dude eh!

Freight companies are much more stable than passenger airlines are.

Go to the company that will be there when you are ready to retire.

Freight doesn't care if it's too hot, the ride is bumpy, or your landings suck.

I like staying up late and sleeping in late. If I want to fly days, we have those flights too.

You don't have to deal with the TSA at our ramps.

I tried 3 times to get those stupid purple faces out of there, but no luck. Oh well.

A space between : and 0 will do.

Here's your pairing...

MO M11 ANC 1715 KIX 0117 08: 02 Block KIX 27: 23 Layover
WE M11 KIX 0610 TPE 0853 02: 43 Block TPE 18: 47 Layover
TH 773 TPE 0610 HKG 0755 01: 45 DH HKG 14: 15 Layover
TH M11 HKG 2340 ALA 0515 05: 35 Block ALA 24: 00 Layover
SA M11 ALA 0645 CDG 1415 07: 30 BlockCDG 58: 15 Layover
TU M11 CDG 0200 DEL 0958 07: 58 BlockDEL 23: 57 Layover
WE M11 DEL 1125 PVG 1732 06: 07 BlockPVG 17: 43 Layover
TH M11 PVG 1245 ANC 2114 08: 29 Block
LDGS: 7 BLOCK HRS: 46: 24 CREDIT HRS: 61: 22 TAFB: 24

Freight companies are much more stable than passenger airlines are.

Go to the company that will be there when you are ready to retire.

Freight doesn't care if it's too hot, the ride is bumpy, or your landings suck.

I like staying up late and sleeping in late. If I want to fly days, we have those flights too.

You don't have to deal with the TSA at our ramps.

All very true...:beer:

If you've never flown night freight, it's a world of difference. You don't end up at the terminal, you end up at some weird place halfway across the airport. No Starbucks for you!

If you think airline flying is the least bit romantic, hanging out on the freight ramp is pretty much the opposite of being captain on a Pan Am 747.

Sitting around a sort is the worst sort of wast of time. That's a huge difference. Do you want to work when you're at work, or simply be forced to sit around? I was looking at some of those layovers--they look good at 50 hours, until you realize you'd really rather be HOME not sitting in some hotel room scared to drink the water because you don't want to get dysentary for your flight home.

THe sort sucks, guys either sit around drinking coffee and bitching (UPS pilots bitch more than all other pilots put together) or taking a short nap that does more harm than good.

If you need certain days off, you WILL be flying nights and as I've mentioned, flying night freight sucks.

Doing it for 25 years makes me gag at the thought.

15 years, why? Number 2 FO in base, why? :D

Just kidding.....a little over 2 years.

I think I flew with that dude! I going need you to bid for me as with over 15 years I still end up flying nights. I will admit that I bid more for days off then what kind of trip I will be flying.

I would think a few jumpseats around the ups system a few nights/days would give this guy the answer he is looking for in terms of what the flying is like at ups.

Yep, that's it! Pick your airline based on a threesome....that's the smart thing to do.

If I wanted to see tits, I'd buy a magazine. Better looking chicks and they don't talk.

Awesome Mega....

I jumpsat on UPS about 2 years ago. They were awesome. Capt. even made a phone call to the hotel for me (cus, I had no idea where to stay). D. Carter was his name - cool cat. I think he is way senior dude over there.

Been there in SDF early in the AM eating "breakfest with the millionaires" - I use to call it.

Latest resources

Back