• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA vs CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's a very relative statement. I'm a low-man on the 777 and I hold a line doing three trips a month. 6 legs a month with almost half of it sleeping in a bunk with some good meals to boot. Although this type of lifestyle isn't for everyone, I'd take my QOL over a SW schedule any day. Just a different opinion to throw in the mix.

Just don't eat the fruit in Delhi :) ...Or use the LAV on the way back....the 777 is THE way to go.....

SWA has hired a ton of FO's over the past 4 years. Since CAL is just ramping up their hiring, your seniority might go up faster there if you can get on in the next year or so. As far as living in HOU...they might be a wash.

That's a very relative statement. I'm a low-man on the 777 and I hold a line doing three trips a month. 6 legs a month with almost half of it sleeping in a bunk with some good meals to boot. Although this type of lifestyle isn't for everyone, I'd take my QOL over a SW schedule any day. Just a different opinion to throw in the mix.

while I don't disagree, I have also heard that moving your schedule at CAL is a bit of a headache. The 777 deal might be sweet but ask the guys doing 6 atlantic crossings a month on the 757/767 out of EWR if they feel the same way. CAL is a great company don't get me wrong but I doubt you can do with your schedule there what we can do here...that's what I mean by QOL. From day one QOL at SWA is top notch, you don't have to wait to be a 777 driver to have a great QOL. QOL to me is days off...and the ability to move your schedule around to suit whatever it is you have going on at home. getting "stuck" with a trip here does not happen very often.

not all of the guys and gals at CAL have the opportunity to fly the 777 and have your QOL. Consider yourself lucky I guess. Here, except for reserve (if that), everyone has a shot at a great schedule reguardless of seniority.

Last edited:
while I don't disagree, I have also heard that moving your schedule at CAL is a bit of a headache. The 777 deal might be sweet but ask the guys doing 6 atlantic crossings a month on the 757/767 out of EWR if they feel the same way. CAL is a great company don't get me wrong but I doubt you can do with your schedule there what we can do here...that's what I mean by QOL. From day one QOL at SWA is top notch, you don't have to wait to be a 777 driver to have a great QOL. QOL to me is days off...and the ability to move your schedule around to suit whatever it is you have going on at home. getting "stuck" with a trip here does not happen very often.

not all of the guys and gals at CAL have the opportunity to fly the 777 and have your QOL. Consider yourself lucky I guess. Here, except for reserve (if that), everyone has a shot at a great schedule reguardless of seniority.

No argument here. I bring up the 777 because new hires have made it into this plane. Believe it or not, the 777 isn't seniority exclusive. As I've said before, this type of lifestyle isn't for everyone. Some people actually like to work.:D
I started out in the 737. Life below our "splat line" was brutal with the advent of PBS. On that side of the fence, SW wins hands-down for QOL. Jmho.

A newhire at SWA can plan on a 10 year upgrade or so...but a merger with another ALPA carrier at CAL could be disastrous...just go with who hires you first

i would not base my next move on upgrade times...no one can predict the future, so trying to figure out where the quickest upgrade will happen is not smart in my eyes unless the upgrade is reachable within 6 months of getting hired. this is a marathon not a race anymore...IMHO being a Captain is important BUT trying to predict the future is impossible. Enjoy the journey not the destination that's what I would base my opinion on. Both CAL and SWA are great companies but internally they are VERY different.

Latest resources

Back