• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
Here's an excerpt from Boeing:

For the remainder of this year, it is adding 12 more 737-700s to its all-Boeing fleet of nearly 380 airplanes.

As I recall there were to be 19 -700's delivered this year. We've seen 7 classes so far this year. With a dozen more airplanes coming this year (an average of almost 2.5 per month) and an average of 3.5 per month beginning in '04 (only 5 months away), would it be reasonably safe to assume that a few more classes would be held this year?

I know there are some -200's going into retirement, some (if not all) reservists returning (80 or so?), and some age 60 retirements (maybe 2 dozen) for the rest of the year.

Does SWA historically hire to coincide with new deliveries? Or are classes usually started well before most of the airplanes come for the year? (seems like the case the last couple of years).

In other words, if SWA has 16 more airplanes coming in the next 6 months for example, and 80 reservists returning in the next couple of months, and let's say 2 dozen age 60 retirements, and let's say 6 more -200 retirements (a guess), won't they still need to add about 60-80 new hires before the end of the year?

Add in the STL opportunity into the mix (with even more airplanes.....possible used ones as SWA management suggested last week), and there could certainly be a need for another several classes this Fall.

It just seems that something should be happening soon.....just a hunch.

Patiently waiting (for the last 18 months),
Coop

ps - for those who respond with "hang in there.....it'll be worth the wait", let me say thanks for the support. All of us in the pool need to hear it every now and then. But I've become a very patient poolie (the last 18 months has taught me that). I just think we're getting very close here, and I'm very excited about the future of SWA. All I'm looking for here is some good answers to my staffing questions.

Coop,

Seems to me that the hiring process is driven by an outlook more long term than next month's aircraft deliveries. At the moment, the pilot force is pretty well manned, some would say over-manned, so a few new deliveries could probably be absorbed without the need for any new classes. On the other hand, they probably won't hold off on training to the last possible moment, as every reserve is being used & the next jet is rolling out at Renton.

I've heard an explanation (don't remember where or how credible) that they prefer to train early in the year & then stop, so that they get a "full year" out of all the new hires. Not sure what is special about the end of the year that would drive this; profit sharing happens based on a September date. Tax considerations, perhaps?

In any event, there is a fair bit of flexibility in the pilot force; it isn't strictly necessary to hire 20 guys for every 2 new jets. Eventually, yes, but not in the short term. However, lots can change, especially with the current state of the industry.

Sorry I can't offer anything more cheery, but keep hanging in there -- it really is is great place to work!

Snoopy

Profit sharing is actually based on you being on property Jan 1st. We asked that in class because we were hired Jan 6th. I will not be able to participate in profit sharing this year because I was not on property as of Jan 1st.

Bake

Coopdog,

I just wanted to mention that all the guys in my class (Apr 03) are currently on reserve, and most have been called in every reserve period to fly. So I'm not sure that we are over-manned (as Snoopy58 suggests). Not that I know too much about the manning levels, but it seems to me that we are perfectly manned at present, and any increase in aircraft numbers and pairings will result in an immediate need for more pilots.
Of course, the summer is bound to be the busiest time.
Just wanted to add a glimmer of hope, because it is definitely worth the wait (and I know you've been waiting a very long time).

Pegasus,

Reserves get used more at some bases than at others. Generally, at the non-commuter bases, guys pick up lots of extra-fly & daily open time, so there isn't so much for the reserves to fly. At the commuter bases, the reverse is true: fewer locals who can pick up a trip on short notice, or make it in quickly even on a JA call, so more stuff goes to the reserves.

That said, I would LUV to see poolies coming on board quickly, boosting you guys up to the more senior bases, and expanding the pilot roster!

Cheers,

Snoopy

Another thing to consider is tomorrow's vacancy bid, where 19 captains will be bumped back to FO. That will help the FO manning situation. I don't think there will be any classes in the short term, but things have been known to change quickly around here.

As always, plan for the worst and hope for the best. No one wants to see the poolies on property more than those of us at the bottom of the list!

T1

Snoopy, like I said, not that I know too much about our manning levels!

Coopdog. just keep on hanging in there. A message on a notice board (at work) I read very recently estimated approx 300 new hires next year. So you'll be here soon!

Latest resources

Back