• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA under fire for obesity policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you think "people of size" should buy 2 tickets?

• Yes

Votes: 128 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
I don't mean to get personal Mr Private Pilot (Pvt-ASEL), but you seem mighty defensive about the whole fat issue. If you are 300 pounds of sexy, wabbly, lob of cellulite that flaps off the walls that just can't squeeze in one seat that requires two, then I can understand - I'd be upset with that too. If that's what it truly is, don't vent your anger at me for agreeing with the policy that's been in place before and never enforced until now.

If that's the problem... there's Jenny Craig.

Difference of opinion is the beauty of this country.

Having previously worked for an airline, I *do* know how non-rev travel works...

I don't mean to split hairs kid, but I'm not sure that flying the line on a virtual airline applies here. ;)

Nope--real airline, pop. Ramp rat for TWA in the late '80s while I was in college.

Last edited:
PP Dood, Lighten up!

I understand where you are coming from, but things arent always black and white.
Quote - "You want to become a true airline professional? Have you read the Air Commerce Act? How 'bout the Civil Aeronautics Act? Or even the Airline Deregulation Act? Read up on the laws which govern your industry--and I mean beyond the FARs--then come back and tell me that the airlines merely sell "seats"."

Well, you may want to get all of the airlines in the industry to do the same, as you are implying that they know nothing about this.

"This is why no labor group at any major will ever be permitted to strike again (at least, certainly not with this president)."

And what President was in power when Comair struck? Hmm, let me think. If you stated the big 5 airlines, then I would have to agree with you, but if SW or Airtrans wanted to strike, they would get the chance.

I think there is more to this than stated above. I recently had a flight attendant call me to ask how many extensions someone could use. I went back to see why, and the individual had to sit in the middle of two seats. No way anyone was getting in the next seat. My initial reaction was not that we were going to lose a seat, but was how we were going to get the individual off of the aircraft in an emergency.
In ATL approx 12 months ago, there was an electrical fire in an ATR that caused smoke in the cabin. The aircraft was evacuated but with only one problem. A very large lady became stuck in the emergency exit opening. Pretty commical as the FA was pushing from inside the plane and the FO was pulling.

Untill aircraft are built to accomidate these very large individuals, there has to be a limit in size. Not just for the poor sole sitting next to them, but all of the passengers they may keep from evacuating in the event of an emergency.
:(

As someone who needs all 17.75" of seatwidth, I have to sympathize with the SWA folks. I've often watched in terror as someone "of size" comes down the asile, because I have no extra room to give if they are going to sit next to me.

Airlines can handle this problem in one of three ways. They can make it yet another battle in the War on Passengers, formerly know as "airline travel".

They can just ignore the problem, as they do the problem of carry-on steamer trunks and multiple lap children.

Or some airline somewhere is going to put wider seats in coach.

Mostly likely they will all continue to ignore the issue. Even SWA who is getting a black eye over this.

Jim

PS: Everytime I get on a SouthWest flight, there are only middle seats left anyway. Are they going to charge the size-imparied folks for 2 middle seats???????

Last edited:
What happens when two "volumetrically impaired" passengers are assigned adjacent seats and they simply can't fit. Do we move normal/fit pax around to accomodate the buffet-addicted?

I say charge them per seat. It's a business. Kind of like buffet-by-the-pound.

"It's only a waifair thin, Monsieur.":p

Latest resources

Back