SWA Transition Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Critter717

I was wondering if I could get some input from any SWA guys as to what my quality of life/bidding power would be at the 3 following bases with a global seniority of around 3800? I am looking at BWI, MCO or MDW. Is there any reason or reasons as to why one of these 3 would be better than the other 2?
I am very lucky to be in a spot where I could transition back to the 717 as a line holding captain. There are obviously uncertainties associated with that move. The hourly rate difference between SWA 737 FO and 717 CA, to me, is meaningless if I don't have a good schedule with lots of time at home.
Thanks in advance!

I am very close to you on the global SL. I get anything I want and my QOL is great. I am MDW based but am about the same at an of the three. I am top 14% +/- 1 at all three bases. I NEVER work more than 15 days per month and I'll make 185k. No complaints from me! I hope this answers your question.

As of now... BWI and MDW are the junior captain bases. If you choose MCO, I believe your FO seniority will be within a few percentage points for all three bases. But, when it comes time to upgrade, it will take about eighteen months to two years longer to get MCO over BWI or MDW as of now. I'll look up the numbers and try to give specifics. Who really knows how much things are going to change.... We will have to wait and see.

Ok... here are some numbers. I am nine in February. I bid exactly top 20% in MCO. I would be around 18.5% in MDW or BWI. The junior capt in MCO has an upgrade date of 5-07. The junior capt's in BWI and MDW are both 7-08. I work three day weekday pairings and pick up two to three extra days per month. I average 120 trips (15 work days..14 in summer when premium flying is more available) which will be around 180k. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Critter,from your side, whats it look like for those who are coming over to SWA early, how many really senior AT are jumping to SWA FO?

I'm in my 12th year (around 300 or so in the company)and there are 60+ guys senior to me bidding SWA FO. The DFW station closure was no doubt a factor for some. Another large block of SWA FO bidders are management guys. There are a few 737 instructors bidding over as well.
I have little doubt there will be some sandbagging but I think most guys will stick with what they select.
Citrusflyer mentioned there have been some additional tools added to the myseniority site which I believe are available to all SWA pilots. It is definately worth a look.

Latest resources

Back