• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9 additional planes?

Hey swaforme,

Your post;

"Just flew with a check airmen today and he said. " 9 a/c to be delivered the remainder of this year. Two classes per month starting in Aug"...."

Would that be 9 NEW planes in addition to the previusly deferred 19. 19+9=28 planes in 2002. OR, are we referring to the same 9 planes that are part of the batch deferred post 9/11????

While we are asking, 2 classes/mo. starting in Aug & ending when?????

To anyone else who is SWA employee.... any recent news on how the Aug 19th voting is coming along??? A SWA F/O bud of mine seems to think the extention will pass by a "slim" margin... any thoughts/opinions????

My retired DAL buddy thinks IF the pilots vote YES, training and growth will being asap.... could be one of those times in history that SWA decides to grow greater than 10% to capture opportunity in the industry?????

Thanks for any input on these issues.... this board is GREAT!!:p

Have a great day fellow bathers & all spectators as well!!!

Regards - tredding

4 more -700's coming from Boeing

Hey Tredding,

This scoop is from the 2nd QTR results live web-cast from last Thursday. SWA has taken 14 deliveries so far this year from Boeing. They are taking 4 more this year (2 in 3rd QTR and 2 in 4th QTR) for a total of 18 in 2002. To summarize the rest of the interesting info, they are looking at "cautious growth", with next year being in a "state of flux - no additional plans", and planning 14 a/c deliveries next year. Also, no new cities this year.

From an article I read the other day from "Airline Pilot Careers" magazine, SWA CFO Gary Kelly said in May, "It's as fluid for us as it has been for many years. I don't know whether that's going to be the right number or not". In 1990, Southwest had about 100 B-737's in its fleet, and in the ensuing period took on 60 more than expected, he noted. "This period feels similar to that. I would certainly admit that we have to be thinking about [buying more aircraft]."

My personal opinion:
I would be interested to know right now if SWA is looking at Midways ex -700's. If they're going to be parked, I'm sure a deal can be made to benefit both parties. Midway gets much needed cash for the pending US Airways Express deal, and SWA gets some fairly new -700's at a great price, w/o changing their delivery schedule with Boeing. Meanwhile, 50-60 poolies get out of the water sooner than expected. Just a thought.....

I'll toss you a towel.

midway had the -800's......doesn't fit into swa palns....

my .02

LearAv8r-

Midway 737's

I was in the first class of FO's for the Midway 737's.....Midway had 700's not 800's. Only difference is they didn't have the same displays (SWA has the round gauges vs the square ones).

my mistake, i thought they were the -800's. I was on the RJ so that should explain it I guess. I do know that they had the auto throttles and different cockpit setup... been so long since I was in RDU.

LearAv8r-

Don't count out -800's at SWA.....

For what it's worth, I have heard that SWA is "thinking" about a larger long haul version. The -800 or -900 would fit nicely into their long haul markets.

If the new SWA long haul markets prove to be successful, and why wouldn't they? - I would say the possibilities are very good of seeing the stretched 73 in canyon blue. An OAK - HNL pairing could be in the works some day.

"Let's book 'em Danno."

new planes

Thanks for the "replay" of the recent web cast data concerning airframes!! I was out that day, and don't have the bandwidth on the laptop to listen to the archived broadcast.

While we are voicing opinions...

It seems to me that SWA could be in a position to take advantage of;
A. the recent reduced capacity
B. trend of pax wanting cheaper tickets

During the early '90s, post Gulf War & MINOR recession in '94... SWA moved rapidly to expand into markets where low cost was needed. It would not shock me if they decided to do much the same now. After all, the core Biz model WORKS, the current model at UAL, AA, DAL, NWA, CO & USA is being tweeked and is still bloated, (not to mention some pretty poor management at some of these carriers) so why not take advantage of the competition?? I would!

Also - On a recent trip to BFI I did see a few Canyon Blue paint jobs on the Boeing ramp.... if anyone else is in the area, give us a fresh count!?!?

Have a good evening Ladies!!

Regards - Tredding

According to Boeing's website, the 800 and 900 have less range than the -700. I heard that Boeing is giving up on the 900 too.

I think some minds are likely to change given the current stock price. We'll find out on Aug 19th.

Midway had 737-700s..Not 800s.

MLBWINGBORN
Former Midway FO 737-700 NG

Latest resources

Back