SWA to buy Sun Country

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Didn't SWA buy Morris Air...Muse Air ?

Maybe Sun Country ? Not beyond reason, I guess.

You just perked up a buncha Sun Country Pilots. A good rumor is long overdue. And Sun Country recruiting just might get a boost as they're advertising.

Standby for some SWA pilots to wade in...I hope. :D

[see ? FI isn't dead ]

Nothing against Sun Country at all, every time I have ridden on them they have been welcoming and accommodating but I don't think they have a whole lot to offer that SWA can't acquire with far fewer obstacles.

Southwest has ordered an additional 33 -800s for delivery between 2016-18. It also converted its last 25 737-700 orders to -800's. The company now has 89 firm orders for current-generation 737s, as well as 200 firm 737 MAX orders. Couple that with the 83 used -700's they have picked up on the world market and it doesn't seem to make too much sense to buy SC to add 20 or so airframes. The hassle of attempting to integrate another airline with all the associated obstacles seems a bit of a stretch.

I'm sure there are some valuable slots and gates that would come with an acquisition but again I'm not sure they would be add enough value to offset the other hurdles associated with merging two airlines.

Didn't SWA buy Morris Air...Muse Air ?

Maybe Sun Country ? Not beyond reason, I guess.

You just perked up a buncha Sun Country Pilots. A good rumor is long overdue. And Sun Country recruiting just might get a boost as they're advertising.

Standby for some SWA pilots to wade in...I hope. :D

[see ? FI isn't dead ]

I think they bought another regional airline also :)

I could see it happening. Delta's tough stand in ATL hurt SW/AAI. SWA buying SY will give them instant 2nd largest presence in MSP to attack Delta and also pick up 737-800NGs on the cheap. Can't imagine the family owners of SY not eventually giving up (selling) the airline.

Latest resources

Back