• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to buy Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Awwww Mannnnn....you had me thinking that SWA was actually buying Alaska. I was thinking, hey, what better way to control the market than to start buying up the individual states. Just think of the legislation they could pass to be the only carrier able to service cities in the states they buy.

I would think that Sun Country would be a more attractive buy for SWA at this time.

GP

Just my 2 cents.. with SWA's stock langushing in the $14-15 range, I believe pressure is building on Gary Kelly and Co. to mix it up if you will. LBO rumors have been circulating and while I think the chance of that is remote at best, it illustrates what can happen if your stock stagnitates. Institutional share holders(as well as everyone else) want a decent return on their investments. Because of this, and because our operation as a domestic operator is quickly reaching maturity I expect them to do something to stimulate the stock soon. This could take the form of different aircraft, a different style of operating, or a purchase of some sort. Time will tell.

SWAPA guy came to the ATA MEC and talked about the possibility that SWA was interested in Alaskan, Frontier and Airtran (less likely should the Midwest thing go through).

SWA is probably interested in getting into some debt to alleviate hostile take overs.

I have no doubt that SWA is considering all kinds of options. Many are contingent on what other mergers/aquisitions happen.

Hold on tight folks. Anything can happen.

Ms. tobin hyphen, whatever her F'n name is can take market rates and Shove them up her As*. It might take awhile but these people have created a monster they can't control. We're going to win this one, period.

Ms. tobin hyphen, whatever her F'n name is can take market rates and Shove them up her As*. It might take awhile but these people have created a monster they can't control. We're going to win this one, period.

We will choke the golden goose until it lays enough eggs or we'll break its neck. If I had enough eggs, I would love to just snap its neck right now but I need to feed my family.

I hope so but it's going to take forever, and then some. According to what I've seen this week on the alaskasworld site they are enjoying a 99.5% reliable airline with an ontime percentage in the mid 80s. If I were in their shoes I would milk that situation for as long as possible.

May 1st was a great day for pilot unity at this company but it will mean little until management starts to see things our way at the negotiating table (does anyone see that happening soon?) or we're released to self help... around 2012.

At some point I have to believe that the BOD is going to get tired of dealing with a group of people that are not just uncooperative, they're openly hostile toward managment. They've already lost a mail contract and they will eventually need to get us on board.

Look for our 99.5% reliability to plummet this summer. No job action needed, this thing is already stressed to the limit. Summer Sched. will push it over the edge...we'll still get blamed for it but we already knew that. I don't know how long it's going to take but like somebody else said, I'm ready to throw the "golden goose" into the wood chipper. It either pays or it dies. I get more indifferent daily.

Latest resources

Back