• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
Hi folks,

I was in Reading, PA today and had lunch at the terminal restaurant. Walking by the USAirways Express ticket counter on the way in, I noticed all 3 of their scheduled flights to PIT, except for one.

On Saturdays, there's one on the board to MCO, and it returns on Sundays. I asked the agent why USAirways Express would run an RJ or Dash-8 to MCO from there over the weekend. She said they didn't......it was operated by Southwest using a 737. They (USAirways Express) handle and service the flight, a scheduled weekend charter on SWA. Note: The flight is listed as USAirways Express to MCO (kind of strange).

Anybody know anything about this? Is this some sort of a SWA test market for the Eastern PA area, like ABE for example? I didn't realize SWA was hooking up with U. What's going on? Anyone?

Just curious......Coop

Coop,
You lucky soul! Got to spend a whole day in Reading! Does this place rock or what? BTW, I always find your SWA updates interesting. Appears you have a corporate background and if that's the case it gives me hope for my next shot at feeling the LUV.

To answer your question, for many years a local department store's travel agency has run charters through USAir down to MCO. They sell it as a Disney package with the hotel, car, and airfare all included. The flight leaves on a Sat. and returns the following Sat. They have been doing this for at least 10 years. Earlier this year they announced that due to the financial problems at USAir, they would no longer offer the package with USAir as the carrier. Shortly thereafter the announcement was made that SWA would be the new carrier. All was quiet and I thought it had fallen through when lo and behold they advertised the new service in our newspaper about two weeks ago. I am sure the airport authority is pretty proud of themselves. They have been trying desperately to get a LCC or RJ's to serve RDG. At the current rate we won't have any airline service here before long because most people drive to PHL, ABE, or MDT. If SWA starts ABE I think they will kick a$$! My only question is where would they fly to from ABE. I also heard that SWA doesn't like to serve cities closer than 150 nm to each other. ISP and BWI are closer than that.

Anyway, that's the deal. I hope they really pull it off because that way I hope to shanghai a couple SWA crews and give them all the Yuengling I can buy so they will write me a LOR. ;)

Regards,
Red

Good job

Good job Red. Thanks for the intel. Very interesting to see SWA doing this in RDG.

It will also be interesting to see them shooting an ILS to mins into a 5150' runway (rwy 36) this winter. I don't remember seeing a precision approach to rwy 31 (6350') there. We always got the visual for that one.....I guess due to the nearby terrain SE of downtown.

For those in the know at SWA, would 5150' be the shortest runway they use? I Guess the Navy carrier guys will be bidding this trip.

By the way, how far of a drive is it from RDG to ABE?

Coop

RDG

I've flown out of RDG (did a month of TDY there), and I'm pretty sure they have an ILS to the longer runway 31 as well as 36. Don't have my Jepps in front of me, though, and it was a couple of years ago, so I may not be remembering right.

As for SWA using a 5100' runway, I remember that they used to serve Detroit City airport back in the day, with a mere 5100' runway there. So I suppose they can do it, but I'll bet they were sweating some bullets from time to time.

My Bad

Fly, you just reminded me that my memory really does suck. I guess because in all the times I've been into RDG, I've never landed on 13, and I just assumed there was no ILS to 13. (of course today was the first time I've been there in about 5 years) But I'm almost 99.9% certain there's not one to 31 due to the terrain, but it looks like one does infact exist for 13. (btw, www.fltplan.com is a good quick reference for the types of available approaches at a specific airport).

Here's another Q for those in the know. Are there any other cities that SWA serves this way? (scheduled charter).

Thanks for any more good intel from anybody in the know. ;)

Coop

Coop,

You are correct about no ILS 31 due to terrain. Kind of funny but about 5 years ago they spent all kinds of money to put a VASI on 31 because it is a wicked black-hole approach at night. After it was all said and done the FAA wouldn't approve the VASI install because of something to do with the ridge to the east. They ended up ripping the VASI out.

When USAir was doing the charter and conditions dictated a 36 landing they would divert to PHL and bus everyone back to RDG. They appear to be in the process of installing approach lights on 13 so that should lower the mins to 1/2 from 3/4 and that will certainly help.

To answer the question about drive time from RDG to ABE, it is 45 minutes from airport to airport.

Red

"I'll bet they were sweating some bullets from time to time."

DET = 5000 foot runway. The only bullets came from the locals.

FLY-BY

I guess that would be considered a "Fly-By Shooting." I've always heard that DET was a rough town.

RedC5Guy

I'm not too sure where you got the 150 mile rule. Just look at SoCal with LAX, ONT, SNA, SAN and NorCal with OAK, SJC, and SMF, also MCO and TPA, etc. If the math works maybe ABE will be in the works. Hopefully a lot of other cities too!

You're absolutely right! Several years back I asked someone at SWA if they would ever consider serving ABE and this individual told me about the 150 mile deal. He said they tried to avoid cities that close together and with the proximity to BWI that it was unlikely ABE would happen. Your example shows that theory to be incorrect. I hope ABE is announced. Provided the right cities are connected I know SWA could own Eastern PA. Then I just have to figure out how to get hired and I hopefully have a convenient way to commute. Thanks for the correction!

Red

Latest resources

Back