SWA starts proviing runs to SJU

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is news?????

The proving runs are a formality for class II nav and flag operations. All companies that conduct international ops did them at some point. SJU was just the easiest destination to do them on.

You guys yuck it up, your company boss' are crapping themselves because just like the Domestic markets, SWA is about to serve up a healthy ass whoopin only this time it will be on your profitable routes.

Good luck.

The proving runs are a formality for class II nav and flag operations. All companies that conduct international ops did them at some point. SJU was just the easiest destination to do them on.

Except for that "flag" thingy . . . . . ;)

I'm sure for your carrier, it is no big deal, and it isn't for any international carrier, but for an airline with no International Ops, it presents a few difficulties.

Let's see . . . for starters, no International Ops Specs, No International dispatching software. No ACARS. No international procedures training, no approach charts . . . No ground handling contracts in place. No fueling contracts. No approved weather sources.

Other than that, it's a breeze. :D

Make sure that what you are saying is correct before you post it, if the approval comes to do that route, you need to comply with all ICAO requirements to do it, if not it will not be approved. ACARS is not required for international flights, and you won't fly that route without proper charts and emergency procedures in place, international airlines don't have ground handling contracts nor fueling contracts in every country nor airport they overfly, there are contingency plans in those cases that are covered by ICAO requirements. The concept of losing an engine over the Bahamas and either continue to Puerto Rico or return to Florida as the only choices is non compliant with international requirements.

Make sure that what you are saying is correct before you post it, if the approval comes to do that route, you need to comply with all ICAO requirements to do it, if not it will not be approved. ACARS is not required for international flights, and you won't fly that route without proper charts and emergency procedures in place, international airlines don't have ground handling contracts nor fueling contracts in every country nor airport they overfly, there are contingency plans in those cases that are covered by ICAO requirements. The concept of losing an engine over the Bahamas and either continue to Puerto Rico or return to Florida as the only choices is non compliant with international requirements.

I didn't say that ACARS is required, the underlying concept was that without it, you would need to get your performance numbers for an airport that isn't in your Op Specs as a Destination, Alternate, or Tech stop. :rolleyes:

Yes, all that stuff needs to be established beforehand; that was the point I was trying to make. I guess you were to jet-lagged to get it. :laugh:

Last edited:
Why do I keep getting this re-occurring vision of the first SWA 737 landing in San Juan for the first time; GK and all his staff in the SOC room nervously watching flight aware and getting ACARS updates on the aircrafts progress. Then when the airplane safely lands the entire SOC erupts, applauds starts crying and hugging like they just landed on the moon. SWA cracks me and probably always will. Whenever they start service to a new city, no matter where it is, they act like they are the first folks to attempt this monumental achievement of manned flight.

First ATL and now SJU? I hope the best for everyone but it seems Southwest is trying to find destinations where a 25 minute turn are impossible.

I didn't say that ACARS is required, the underlying concept was that without it, you would need to get your performance numbers for an airport that isn't in your Op Specs as a Destination, Alternate, or Tech stop. :rolleyes:

Yes, all that stuff needs to be established beforehand; that was the point I was trying to make. I guess you were to jet-lagged to get it. :laugh:
Not jet lagged enough to realize you don't know what is required for international operations under ICAO member states, first of all, you WILL require airport along the route that comply with the one hour rule on one engine at 10K, ring a bell? If you don't get those airports along the route and the charts for them, no certification of that route. Second, not all adequate airports along specify routes need to have ground handling nor fuel contracts, there are contingency plans for this, in our case we have several fuel and regular credit cards in case of a diversion to an airport along the route that is not either of the airports you discribed. In that instance, there are alternate procedures that will allow you to get all your data over the phone, in the case that not even a fax is available. The FAA as the regulatory agency of an ICAO member country WILL comply with the adequate diversion airports requirements before the start of operations for hire. Hence my original comment, if you have to divert due to WX or medical emergency, So what?

You guys yuck it up, your company boss' are crapping themselves because just like the Domestic markets, SWA is about to serve up a healthy ass whoopin only this time it will be on your profitable routes.

Good luck.

Yeah the Puerto Rican market is underserved and just stuffed with high ticket paying pax! :rolleyes:

Still don't get this "proving run" it isn't required as far as I know. Can someone explain why they have to do it?

Latest resources

Back