• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T45Flyer

Fair and Balanced...
Southwest Air Sept Traffic Up; Follows Gains In July, Aug

DALLAS -(Dow Jones)- Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) said September traffic rose 18.9% to 4.7 billion revenue passenger miles from 4 billion a year earlier, as available seat miles increased 11.5%.
A revenue passenger mile is one paying passenger flown one mile.
Load factor, or percentage of seats filled, was 67.4% for the month, up from 63.2% a year earlier, the carrier said in a press release Tuesday.
The September traffic results follow gains in July and August; for the full third quarter, revenue passenger miles rose 15.5%.
For the nine months of the year to date, Southwest said it flew 45.1 billion revenue passenger miles, up 11.9% from 40.3 billion a year earlier.
Load factor for the year to date was 71.1%, unchanged from a year earlier.
A jump in the price of jet fuel has forced airlines to cut flight schedules, raise ticket prices, and ask for federal tax relief. Fuel hedging has helped Southwest post annual profits through tough times for the industry.

Yes, that's a very good month and quarter considering the Hurricanes. Pricing power will again help the bottom line this quarter along with the usual hedges. WN's large route network and the passive co-exist gentlemen's agreement with the old AWA has served them well. My guess is the new US Airways will continue that philosophy.

Jetblue's coast to coast flts have no pricing power as many of the carriers have kept prices low just to stick it to them. They should post losses in the next three quarters until the money making spring/summer quarters return along with the 190 expansion will promote profits well into the future.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, lowercur finally said something positive about WN. Well< I hear thunder outside, maybe I'll get hit by lightning!!!

desolo said:
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, lowercur finally said something positive about WN. Well< I hear thunder outside, maybe I'll get hit by lightning!!!

Nah, Just more proof Lowecur's dead and someone is using his login.:smash:

Yes, but what does SWA/FO have to say about it?

Latest resources

Back