• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA sees fivefold jump in baggage fee revenue, thanks to AirTran--article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southwest has a very profitable business model that does not rely on baggage fees to generate revenue. Conversely, the wholly owned subsidiary relies substantially on baggage fees to remain profitable.

Au contrare, Pierre...As the wholly owned subsidiary is now operated by remote from the mothership, revenue generated per aircraft is higher for the subsidiary than a Southwest aircraft. Southwest controls all ticket pricing and associated costs for operation, yet realizes greater yield due to lower costs and increased revenue from the bag fees.

I don't know what the big deal is. I really don't think anyone actually believes that SWA won't be charging for bags when Amadeus comes on line.

Oh yeah? Welcome to becoming a legacy. Spirit is the new low cost King, and GK doesn't like that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yep-Like button + a million.

You and DCA320 should go punch each other's buttons in a hotel room somewhere. You guys could be "real" friends together. That's "hot dog awesome!" You two have fun...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Also, a lot of you guys don't seem to understand that you can use a smartphone and look at FI from almost anywhere, including Europe for me, and Midland for you. Invest in the future, buy a smartphone. Good luck Jonny!

Bye Bye---General Lee

You are in Europe and you are trolling on FI on an iPhone? Loser.

I just left Athens, FI was the last thing on my mind.

You are in Europe and you are trolling on FI on an iPhone? Loser.

I just left Athens, FI was the last thing on my mind.

Was JonJuan on your mind? You made a response, so you were obviously on FI. (remember your + 1 million response? Really clever) See, even you can't resist........don't fib....

And, as I stated to Jonny, your buddy, I usually don't fly on Weekends, unless it's for double pay. Bye!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Was JonJuan on your mind? You made a response, so you were obviously on FI. (remember your + 1 million response? Really clever) See, even you can't resist........don't fib....

And, as I stated to Jonny, your buddy, I usually don't fly on Weekends, unless it's for double pay. Bye!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hey dip$hit, you are losing it. I have never in my life posted on FI from Europe as you imply, and I made no + 1 million response. I am now calling you a stupid loser.

STOP THE PRESSES! The airline that doesn't charge for bags has a fivefold increase in baggage fees after purchasing an airline that charges for bags.

This^^^

You have to admit general- the premise of the headline is pretty damn funny.

Next headline:

"Delta realizes 100 million times more revenue from RJs than SWA"

Do the math- the headline wouldn't be wrong.
Surely a sign of southwest's demise

Sorry, it's just classic that an airline that doesn't believe in bag fees itself, keeps them at a subsidiary. Funny stuff.

Bye Bye---General Lee

dude, or girl, whichever it is, you really do need help. seriously, get some.

Latest resources

Back