SWA SEC 8-K 19Sep07 . . . thoughts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think Internationally...

Not AirTran or Alaska. I think the purchase will be Global Aero Logistics (GAL) and operated as a separate subsidiary.

Of course I'm almost always wrong.

One thing for sure.

Whatever happens, it will not be anything we can come up here on any bulletin board. :confused:

Good Idea!!!

Between all the GAL groups you have aprox 1500 pilots, ETOPS certification, oceanic experience, and lucrative millitary and cargo contracts.

Could intially be operated separately and eventually merged into one airline. Pay increases for the GAL group pilots and plenty of domestic feed for international flights.

Would put more pressure on the legacys and fleet simplification could come with future 787 and 737RS orders.

What is the nearest city that SWA services to Atlanta? BHM? How many people live within 50 miles of ATL? 5 million? hmmmm......

I've heard Lockheed Martin and the city of Marietta want commercial service into Dobbins since the NAS has closed. Most of the business is on the North side of Atlanta near Dobbins. How much does it cost to build a terminal?

The Atlanta MSA has 5.1 Million population.

Last edited:
The conspiracy theories of eventual international expansion (beyond El Paso) took a hit when we announced we are sticking to our policy of not assigning seats.

SWA buys back over a billion in stock (which is in the toilet), borrows 1/2 billion w/ great financing to buy an airline and still have emergency cash on hand, stock goes through the roof, swa pays off some debt with stock profits, still has billions cash on hand, and more markets/less competition. Genius. Maybe gain international routes, lucrative military charter contracts, cargo, whatever. Our stock’s in the toilet because we have been so conservative. The investors don't see how we're going to set any record profits on this curent track. This ought to shake things up. Just dreaming. But it's a thought. The question is how ugly will a merger be wrt culture, seniority, pay, etc.?

The conspiracy theories of eventual international expansion (beyond El Paso) took a hit when we announced we are sticking to our policy of not assigning seats.

Then why is the SWA Technology Dept. reprogramming our reservations system to handle international flights? Their work should be done on this in the next 12 months. I know I have talked personally to a couple of people who are working on this project.

Who will operate these flights is the question. ATA, SWA, or someone else. Methinks this is why our negiotiating committee is spending such a large amount of time on the scope / merger/ acquisition language right now.

War Eagle BTW!
Mach Zero - fellow AU Aviation Alum

Latest resources

Back