• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA RJ's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's plenty more cities SWA doesn't even fly to yet that can support 737, high-frequency flights. I'm sure they are concentrating on those markets first. Why would they be messing around with RJ's right now? Remember they only fly to 60 cities...

Go ahead guys, keep calling an airplane the size of a 737 an RJ.....You all must be BEGGING for a pay cut. Some people are just a glutton for punishment I guess. The Term RJ has nothing to do with an airplanes size, it has to do with how much a company has to put into a pilots wallet to fly the thing. Just because an airplane is made by Embraer doesn't make it an "RJ", that is unless you want to be paid 90 bucks an hour instead of 160.00 to fly an airplane of the same size. If Cessna made a 350 seat widebody one day, would it be a GA airplane?

canyonblue said:
The pay will be offset by the increase in productivity, and less F/A's needed on the property. The new contract raises the amount by which a line can be built from 118 TFP to 130 TFP. Imagine if Delta had the ability to build F/A lines to 114 hours. I think in 6 months you will be hard pressed to find a F/A that will say they voted yes.
I voted "yes" and would do it again. Will the membership feel like they got the shaft by the time spring rolls around? Only time will tell, but I doubt it. A difference of 12 TFP per month is less than 2 extra days per month with the new ADG of 6.5. The ones who are most likely to complain are those who don't want to work and are ticked because it is now harder to trade a 4 day down to a turn. They should be thanking their lucky stars we didn't end up with minimums. The amount of $$ we spend on bennies for F/A's who barely fly has got to be staggering. At any rate, since the ADG did go from 4 to 6.5, trips will have to be more productive. However, our scheduled duty day remains 10.5 hours so there is only so much more the company can do with us. The company already has a 118TFP max and yet the avg line credit for BWI in September is 96.49 If nothing else, crew planning will have to stop building 3 days that pay 14 and 4 days that pay 25. In the end, if they really intended to get more bang for their flight attendant buck, they would have tied the duty rigs and pay raises to a longer duty day. They didn't. If anyone starts complaining to you about the contract just tell em to start working on their wishlist the next go round now and remind em that 2008 will be here before they know it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So 4 seats makes it an RJ?
4 seats warrent a huge reduction in pay?
4 seats somehow make it okay to pay regional airline wages to fly it?

My comparison was off, Usually when I think of the EMB195 vs the small 737's I do so using the 737's at my parent company. My point was that when you call that airplane an RJ your buying into the corporate scheme to lower major airline pay rates. Its a management marketing term used to show pilots that its okay to pay regional pay on a regional airplane when the truth is that there is no such thing as a regional jet. A jet is a jet, period.

Last edited:
Mr Hat said:
So 4 seats makes it an RJ?
4 seats warrent a huge reduction in pay?
4 seats somehow make it okay to pay regional airline wages to fly it?

My comparison was off, Usually when I think of the EMB195 vs the small 737's I do so using the 737's at my parent company. My point was that when you call that airplane an RJ your buying into the corporate scheme to lower major airline pay rates. Its a management marketing term used to show pilots that its okay to pay regional pay on a regional airplane when the truth is that there is no such thing as a regional jet. A jet is a jet, period.
FWIW, Continentals' 737-500s seat 104 in a dual class configuration 10/94 is the mix.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back