SWA reports $159M profit for 2nd Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lowecur said:
Kudos to Kelly and Co. Just one problem............$196M investment income from Hedges leaves a $37M operating loss.:) Cash is king, as they have increased it to $2.2B.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050714/dath013.html?.v=20

For those that are interested BELF is .647 or rounded to 65%. Throw out the fuel hedging and it's probably more like 74%.

Give me a F'ing break Lowecur, Atleast we are not staying in business because of Goverment Bailouts and slashing jobs. Who the hell cares how the profit is made, It is a profit!

Eat my grits!

J3

Give me a F'ing break Lowecur, Atleast we are not staying in business because of Goverment Bailouts and slashing jobs.

Southwest didn't take any of the 5 billion after Sep 11? Great, I didn't know that. Obviously Southwest didn't need that money to survive, but you have no idea what you are talking about with "government bailouts."

Lowecur, granted Southwest is making money with hedges now, but I bet they have the pricing power to raise prices when they need to, unlike most of the other airlines.

skykid said:
Lowecur, granted Southwest is making money with hedges now, but I bet they have the pricing power to raise prices when they need to, unlike most of the other airlines.
SWA still has great pricing power, but attrition will take it's toll in the next 5 years unless they get their bloated payroll in line.

If this isn't a sure sign the apocolypse is upon us. Someone referring to the SWA payroll as "bloated"...and actually meaning it.

The same SWA that for years and years was the scourge of the industry in the eyes of every other company's pilots for "bringing down the profession" with substandard pay.

SWA still has great pricing power, but attrition will take it's toll in the next 5 years unless they get their bloated payroll in line.

So, bottom line is just what I said - Southwest can make money now with fuel hedges, and can raise prices when they need to. And they are in trouble how? Meanwhile their pilots are the best paid - I wouldn't call it bloated considering their bottom line.

Yank McCobb said:
If this isn't a sure sign the apocolypse is upon us. Someone referring to the SWA payroll as "bloated"...and actually meaning it.

The same SWA that for years and years was the scourge of the industry in the eyes of every other company's pilots for "bringing down the profession" with substandard pay.

Yank has a good observation. I remember hearing that same stuff from all who had the coveted United and Delta, NW etc jobs.

lowecur said:

Guess you missed these lines from today's news release-

2Q 2005 2Q 2004
Salaries, wages, and benefits 667 622 7.2 %
Size of fleet at period-end 434 405 7.2 %

The payroll grew at the same rate as the fleet, doesn't sound too bloated to me.

Latest resources

Back