SWA reports $159M profit for 2nd Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lowecur said:
Kudos to Kelly and Co. Just one problem............$196M investment income from Hedges leaves a $37M operating loss.

QUOTE]

Kudos to Warren Buffet for being one of the wealthiest people in the world. One problem, had he not made the shrewd investments he did in the past, he would be destitute.

That seems to be an accurate parallel to what you are saying wouldnt you say?

Unfortunately business forced me to leave the earnings call early yesterday.

I think I remember LUV saying that the ATA code-share is generating profits. Theoretically, could ATA be losing money while LUV is making money off the code share? I know that LUV owns a fraction of ATA, but I'm not certain about the rest.

lowecur said:
SWA still has great pricing power, but attrition will take it's toll in the next 5 years unless they get their bloated payroll in line.

Hey quick-draw, Let's wait to call a spade a spade when a CASM comparison can be made after the rest of the industry releases their Q2 reports.

Bloated... I almost choked on my crewmeal.

Fate

FatesPawn said:
Hey quick-draw, Let's wait to call a spade a spade when a CASM comparison can be made after the rest of the industry releases their Q2 reports. Didn't ATA have a great CASM?:)

Bloated... I almost choked on my crewmeal. Try the AWA liquid diet.:D

Fate

Lets see we made money with fuel hedges. The hedges have to be bought in advance. Thats money that was earned by the airline. Profit is profit the way I see it. When the gas goes up with our hedge price we will adjust ticket prices accordingly if need be.

Jim Smyth said:
Lets see we made money with fuel hedges. The hedges have to be bought in advance. Thats money that was earned by the airline. Profit is profit the way I see it. When the gas goes up with our hedge price we will adjust ticket prices accordingly if need be.

Thats what I think also. The executives at SWA seem to always have a plan.

By the way, I think that taking the 196 mil from the 159 mil net profit is not correct. SWA's operating income was 277 million. So take the hedges out and I believe that they would have an operating income of 81 mil. Then take the taxes out and you have a net income in the black.

I think the spin on this one is not accurate. Shocker. :D

LearLove said:
Yeah, right, lets not even attempt to go there.

Let's go there. Our pay is holding the bar in the industry. When the operating environment improves, others will be looking at ours to match or top. That doesn't hurt anyone. As far as your management woes, don't blame it on us. We just keep doing what we have been doing for years, keeping fares low.

Happy flying,

RB

lowecur said:
SWA still has great pricing power, but attrition will take it's toll in the next 5 years unless they get their bloated payroll in line.

"Bloated Payroll?" Is this another way of saying "overpaid pilots?"

SWA is the best run airline in the biz, PERIOD, and arguably among the top 10 or 20 run companies in all of corporate america. So if you are an employee there, contributing to its success, it stands to reason you will be paid back.

"In the next 5 years" - where did you get that figure.

SWA got started in 1971, but didn't really begin its expansion till the late 70s. So for discussion, call it 1978 (27 years ago). Using Kit Darby's official average airline new-hire age of 32 years, that means that those guys are just NOW starting to retire.

Observe SWA purposely hires all age groups, contrary to AArogant Airlines who only hired 28 year olds who passed the famous family-tree medical application (some of you will remember that...). So the retirees are not gonna hit all at once, on one certain year. This is only one aspect of the smart management at SWA.

SWA will be around for a long long time

(hopefully long enough for me to retire from my Part 91 job and be a 50 year old F.O. and make the Capt's coffee for him...)

:D

TAZ MAN said:
Thats what I think also. The executives at SWA seem to always have a plan.

By the way, I think that taking the 196 mil from the 159 mil net profit is not correct. SWA's operating income was 277 million. So take the hedges out and I believe that they would have an operating income of 81 mil. Then take the taxes out and you have a net income in the black.

I think the spin on this one is not accurate. Shocker. :D
Taxes are $97M there Taz, and no matter where you put the hedges......you still have to pay taxes on them. You want to use gross operating profits without taxes, then be my guest and make yourself feel better.

Latest resources

Back