Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot_Ryan

Tiller Twirler
Forgive & forget if this has already been covered ad nauseum, but I've recently decided to strongly consider SWA as a five-year goal. I'm currently a 2,200 hr. piston pilot with 950 ME and am waiting on a Beechjet job which is in the pocket.

Have gotten some good over-the-phone guidance from another forum participant, but wanted some add'l perspective. My hope is that in 2 years I'll have about 1,500 turbojet hours under my belt (not unreasonable with my new company), about half or more of that as PIC. My understanding is that SWA wants 1,000 turbojet (PIC?) and ideally a 737 type as a minimum. I'm working on finishing my college degree at the ripe old age of 30 (took a break from school to go into business in my twenties.) I could afford to consider the type rating in a few years when I'm ready to initially apply. So hopefully I'll have everything SWA would require to consider me for hire.

My burning question: would the type of flying I'll be doing in the Beechjet (all pt. 91 for a management company, not fractional) be considered desirable compared to 135/121 experience? I could probably get on with a regional, but simply want to avoid it for both financial and lifestyle considerations.

Basically, I'm trying to find the best route from here to there. Any advice greatly appreciated.

SWA has hired Pt. 91 drivers in the past and will in the future however, IMHO this is a minority of the pilots we hire. Everyone in my class of Oct. 04 had airline experience or military or both. There were no corporate pilots.

And another thing...while in training recently, I had the opportunity to meet alot of applicants at SWA for their interviews. Not one of them came from a corporate only background either. Again, I'm not saying SWA doesn't or won't hire a corporate pilot it's just they are a minority of those that are called. Maybe it's because a minority of them apply...

If I were you, I would continue as planned. Get the jet PIC and make some bucks. You can always go to a regional later, or a national jet carrier to get some 121 time, and by then, there will probably be more movement (quicker upgrades) anyway.

If you go the 121 route right now, plan on stagnating in the right seat for 2-3 years at many regionals, so this is a good time to "sit it out" and get your jet PIC and save some $$$ for a lean year or two at a regional later, if it becomes necessary.

Make sure that you are the Captain

Pilot_Ryan said:
My burning question: would the type of flying I'll be doing in the Beechjet (all pt. 91 for a management company, not fractional) be considered desirable compared to 135/121 experience?

Hey Ryan,

For one, make sure than in addition of being typed and flying on the left seat, your company considers you to be the "Captain" and you are designated as the Captain. On Part 135 a Captain is always designated per the Ops Specs but I would imagine that when you fly someone is designated as well, only you can answer that question. If not, Southwest will not consider your time even if you are typed flying on the left. They consider the Part 1 definition, ultimately responsible. In other words, you are flying with an FO, yeah that guy just out of flight instructing not as senior as you are...Also, I have asked people at Southwest (in the KNOW) about where to go now in terms of my experience to make myself as competitive as possible (Part 135 Captain on Metroliners and Hawkers) and SWA advice to me has been consistent, "fly PIC on the turboprop or Jet as much as possible and wait for the interview. Don't worry about the 121 experience we hire people without it all the time. We want to hire Captains".
I fly to many FBOs in the USA and Mexico and I have yet to meet another pilot that is typed and waiting for an interview call from Southwest. I am sure that there are many that are out there, but certainly a minority. That is why statistically, they are insignificant at Southwest IMHO. I am sure that most "wouldn't mind working for Southwest" but as far as consistently working for the goal perhaps not as common...I have probably met more through flightinfo.com than anywhere else...

Last edited:
I agree with these guys.............
jet now, 121 turboprop later if necessary, and only if necessary!

I've posted that burning question on here sometime ago. I left a 121 SIC for a PIC jet and king air job part 91. It has gotten me to my first goal faster and more stable then my 121 gig. My second goal is to get the call and I am still waiting. IMOP do something you enjoy just in case SWA says you’re not our guy/gal. Some people on Flightinfo have interview 2 or 3 times. Heck it could take years to get on. I guess you have to ask yourself what’s more important PIC-T, seniority or QOL.

Captzaahie are you from PDT?

You guessed correct, but then again what other dysfunctional airline operates Dhc-8 300's? How long ago did you leave? I interviewd at SW back in 2000, only 6 out of the 13 in my AM group got the call, however I did not let it get me down.(for very long) Next round I'll just have an even bigger smile on my face and be just that much more cool, calm and collected from having the experience!

It's spelt zaahlie like it sounds.... :)

Sorry I forgot the l. I started there in July 2000 and left almost a year later. What base are you in and do you do training there? Almost everyone in my new hire class has upgraded but for how long. I still stay in touch with a few people there. I miss the Dash and the hot FA's LOL

Are you ORF? or PHF?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back