SWA questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hydrarkt

I've got the application in. I'm about to schedule my type training with the hopes of getting on at SWA... of course, there are no gurantees but I'm trying to give myself a better opportunity. I'm currently at NetJets and want out.

My questions... If I do get on at SWA...

1) Is OAK the most junior base? How are new hires assigned. I live in Boston and would like to use BWI but will go where I have to.

2) What is the reserve schedule like? How long is a new hire usually on reserve?

3) If I did get assigned to OAK, how long before I could change it to BWI?

4) What's the typical schedule like after year 1 or 2?

5) What is the benefits package like?

Also, any pertinent information or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Good luck with your application!

BWI is the Junior base for FO's and Capt's alike. That doesn't mean that's where you'd go after training. Your first base could be anywhere but normally alternates between BWI, OAK, and MDW. Lately, however, it's been OAK. Currently, guys are getting BWI as soon as they are eligible for a vacancy bid (two months after training). You'll have to sit reserve for a couple months max. After a couple of years in the BWI domicile you'd be senior enough to hold 3-day weekend lines or probably a 13 duty-day weekday line (one 4-day thrown in).

Benefits include a descent medical dental package with a variety of options, a union administered 401K plan with a 7.3% company match, an options plan, and a profit sharing plan which historically averages roughly 10%.

I've been here a tad over five years, any newer guys out there have any better/different data?

Again,
Good luck.

Cheers

Thanks Cheesemo,

I've been at NJA almost 5 years. I have good seniority. We all know that it's tough to move to the bottom of another seniority list. But at 38, I know it's a good move for me... Of course, it's not a given.

What you told me sounds good. I guess that it's time to schedule the type ride and take if from there.

Anybody else with good info??
Thanks

SWA interview

Here is my take as an FO with 5 months experience. I came to SWA on May 10th. My class had 24 in it as most do. I was the senior guy. I got BWI for IOE and my hardlines for July and August. I bid BWI for my domicile and got it the first month. I sat res. for the month of Sep and got a blank line for Oct. The blank line had 14 days duty and 17 days off. I added some open time to fill the sched. Stastics of my class in general. 17 out of 24 came to BWI. 7 went to OAK as did the entire class behind me. Most of my class is now bidding other domiciles so at most they were in OAK or BWI one month after their hardlines finishe.

As a retired (retarded military) guy I found the benefits to be beyond my wildest expectations. The medical and dental are very good and cost less than what I paid to continue my military benefits after retirement. The 401k has many options as to where to invest your funds. I do believe the company match is now 7.8 but I am spliting hairs.

The thing that struck me the most, even though I had heard it many times was the friendly atmosphere during training and once on the line. The people I work with on a day-to-day basis are great and make going to work fun.

Good Luck.

Reserve lines are typically built with 15 days off.

The hard lines are 16, 17, 18, 19 days off, but that might depend on your base.

First year pilots who pick up extra flying on their days off are paid at second year pay, which is a nice little perk for the new guys.

OAK has traditionally been junior, but the east coast growth has delivered us a lot of new guys. During IOE they temporarily base you where you want, and then build a line for you for the rest of that particular month. After that, you get a 'free' month, which is a hard line so you don't get out of the groove flying wise. You'll bid your free line like everyone else; only difference is they won't assign you a reserve line. That also means that the junior-most guys already in base and senior to you may be stuck with a reserve line for that month since newhires get their free month.

Bidding out of base is dependant on hiring. When a new class comes through a vacancy bid is run, so during the hiring blitz you can usually bid out within a month or two, again depending on the base you want to go to. I think in your original post you wanted to go to BWI. No problem there at all.

SW provides pagers for reserve pilots. On the last day of reserve they'll typically release you in time to catch your last flight home if you commute.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the info..
I wish that I had made this decision sooner. I'm hoping that it all works out. Seems like you guys have only good things to say.
J

Latest resources

Back