• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Putshbacks in PHL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've done Philly about five times now. When I call for push Ramp is very specific as to where and when we should push the airplane. I suggest you find the web-forum where the Philly ramp controllers hang out and ask your question there.

Anybody get the idea that this is a bit of flame bait?

Mike

No, it was not flaim bait. It was an honest question that I thought might have an honest answer.

RUhiring? said:
No, it was not flaim bait. It was an honest question that I thought might have an honest answer.
I think you got it: we are following ramp's instructions. It doesn't make sense to me either. BTW I think I speak for just about everybody here when I say that I really watch my Ps and Qs is Philly. I am very aware that not everybody wants us there and the last thing I want to do is provoke someone. We do not need to add fuel to the fire. I'd be very disappointed to see one of our crews intentionally block a taxiway, make a wisecrack over the radio etc.
I have seen some unprofessional USAir behavior, but it has been minimal.Overall a professional group who just had the misfortune of working in a company run by crooks.

So there we were in PHL about 3 days ago at spot 11 inbound, forced to come to a full stop shortly after shutting one down for a single engine taxi in. We stop because SWA is sitting right on top of spot 11 having a debate with the ramp controller. Aparrently, the issue boiled down to winglets. The captain took over from the F/O on the radio to enforce the point that she was not comfortable taxing into the congested area without a wing walker since they had a winglet airplane. I thought it looked like the winglets went pretty much straight up and down anyway, so I really didn't understand what the issue was. Did she mean that it was because it was a -700 series which I suppose has a slightly longer wingspan than a -300? We sat quietily burning our unhedged fuel while the ramp controller struggled to understand their point. I swear, we didn't say a word and quietly burned gas. Afterall, according to board member Miles O'Toole, SWA owns the place.

This place needs help, and it will be fixed.

>The captain took over from the F/O on the radio to enforce the point that she was not comfortable<

I think you have your answer. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back