• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA proposal for operation at King County

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not saying it can't be done but...I used to fly into Boeing Field regularly. There isn't a lot of room on the east side of the field between the taxiways and the road and railroad tracks. Where would all the cars of the pax go for parking? The exits/onramps to I-5 are indeed a bit of a maze and probably not up to handling the traffic that SW might drum up. Then again I-5 isn't up to the traffic it handles, hence the efforts in Seattle to build some kind of light rail. Getting around Seattle is like getting around LA, if you're not going at the right time (say 0300) it takes you an hour to get anywhere.

It's been a long time since I landed in WA, so I'm not sure about the traffic problems presented by turning Boeing Field into a SWA destination. But, let's think about it for a second.

If SWA flys sixty trips per day, (of course I'm making the number up) and each segment either loads or unloads 137 pax, of which each pax drives to and from the airport,,, you get the need to handle 8220 automobiles. Take that number of autos and divide the normal operation hours by it and you get 513 autos per hour needing to access the field.

I'm no civil engineer, but I think that the alley behind my house could handle that amount of traffic.

I also doubt that SWA would be stupid enough to spend a hundred twenty mil on an airport that couldn't handle the traffic.

enigma

coolyokeluke said:
I'm not saying it can't be done but...I used to fly into Boeing Field regularly. There isn't a lot of room on the east side of the field between the taxiways and the road and railroad tracks. Where would all the cars of the pax go for parking? The exits/onramps to I-5 are indeed a bit of a maze and probably not up to handling the traffic that SW might drum up. Then again I-5 isn't up to the traffic it handles, hence the efforts in Seattle to build some kind of light rail. Getting around Seattle is like getting around LA, if you're not going at the right time (say 0300) it takes you an hour to get anywhere.

It's in the SWA proposal--new parking garage to be built. I think they saw what you're talking about too.

Another fly in the ointment-

Airlines consider moving closer to downtown Seattle

[SIZE=-1]By TREBOR BANSTETTER[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/SIZE]

In a move reminiscent of the battle over the Wright Amendment, American Airlines executives say they might move their Seattle operation to Boeing Field if rival Southwest Airlines opens that airport to commercial service.
Currently, American, Southwest and other carriers operate from Seattle-Tacoma Airport. But earlier this year, Dallas-based Southwest floated the idea of moving to Boeing Field, a smaller airport that does not serve commercial traffic.

Southwest complained that the cost of operating at Sea-Tac will become prohibitive by the end of the decade, because of a costly expansion. Southwest has offered to spend $130 million on an eight-gate terminal and parking lot at Boeing Field solely for its own passengers, and estimates it could have as many as 80 daily flights there. But other airlines say they fear that Southwest, the nation’s largest low-fare carrier, would have an advantage at Boeing, which is closer to downtown Seattle.

Alaska Airlines, the largest carrier in Seattle, previously warned that it would seek to move 100 daily flights to Boeing Field to compete. Officials with Fort Worth-based American said they would follow suit. "We don’t wish to get involved at Boeing," said American spokesman Tim Smith. "But if that airport opened up and customer preference became a factor, we would be required for competitive reasons to move there."
Southwest officials said they weren’t worried about extra competition at Boeing. "We have competitors everywhere we fly," said spokesman Ed Stewart.

Boeing Field, with a maximum of 13 passenger gates, is much smaller than Sea-Tac. Sea-Tac, by comparison, has about 90 gates. One gate can generally sustain about 10 flights a day.

American and Southwest are both relatively small players in Seattle, with 6 percent and 9 percent of the market, respectively. Alaska is the largest airline, with about 35 percent of the market.

The Seattle issue mirrors an ongoing debate in North Texas about the Wright Amendment, a 1979 law that limits service at Dallas Love Field to states that border Texas, as well as Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi.

Southwest, which operates solely from Love and has refused to offer service at Dallas / Fort Worth Airport, wants to repeal the law. Southwest officials say larger D / FW does not fit their business model, which favors smaller, alternative airports.

American executives have threatened to try and move hundreds of flights from D / FW to Love if the amendment is repealed. That, they say, could damage D / FW’s finances and result in the loss of nonstop flights to many cities, including international destinations.

Several bills on the issue have been filed in Congress this year, but most observers say a repeal is unlikely before the end of 2005.

But a measure that would exempt Missouri from the restrictions may become law, which would allow Southwest to serve St. Louis and Kansas City with nonstop flights from Love. "That would be the first real crack" in the Wright Amendment, Stewart said.

Latest resources

Back