SWA Point System?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mad Dog 80

I hear that SWA will be using a point system to decide who interviews or not. Any information will be handy.

How many points to get an interview?
How do you gain your points?:)

Answer (sort of)

As to your direct question:

How many points to get an interview?

No one knows except the folks who do the process. Is there a "point system"? It is probably semantics but I haven't heard it described that way but in reality each app is obviously "scored" based upon the total person concept as I have had it explained to me. All things are factor, total time, currency, PIC vs SIC, different quals, variety of aircraft, complexity of aircraft, type, etc. All of these will be "weighted" in some fashion & the computer will spit out the "best qualified" & those folks will get the call. Again it is only my opinion but it will make for a more difficult process of waiting & not knowing when one might get the call.

Until folks start getting called & posting their data there will be no intelligent way of knowing what "weight", "point" or any other way you wish to describe it is being used other than what has been used by other airlines in the past. I'm sure there are other variables in the process I haven't included & may have included factors that won't be weighted, the bottom line is the recipe will obviously be a closely guarded secret, as it should be. This gives SWA the ultimate flexibilty in deciding who they wish to interview. It may not always be from the top of the list either I would think. Picking folks with various background & experience level is one of the factors that is obvious in most new hire classes so for those who think they may not have more than the min quals out there, don't dispare, it never hurts to apply. Again no scientific or inside info, just one person's opinion.

How do you gain your points?

As I have stated I don't know what criteria or what aspects of one's flying career make one "best qualified"....mine thoughts are only a guess:

1. Flying time Instructor time, PIC time, SIC (in order)
2. Jet time, turbine, piston (in order)
3. Complexity of aircraft, multi-engine, single engine
4. (much more iffy on this category) 121, 135, military (in no particular order), 99, flight instructor time
5. Number of quals/types; 737 & then other various ones (obviously the 737 type is no longer required but in terms of points it may or may not be a factor, I have nothing definitive on this but definite opinions on why I think it is important)
6. Clean record w/ FAA & legal authorities (again pretty iffy here)

Only one person's opinion, some things you don't have any control, others you do. Worry & work on the things you can impact, don't worry about the others, either SWA will be interested or they won't be. Some folks won't get calls for quite sometime but don't be discouraged....this is a marathon, not a sprint so be patient, diligent, thorough & perseverance will pay off for those who wish to stay in the process for the long haul.

Good luck,

Last edited:
Related question ... how does SWA look at furloughed pilots as far as applying to SWA ?

If this comes across rude to furloughed guys/gals, I am sorry, I do not intend that, but this is my personal opinion.

I think that if you really wanted to work for SWA you should have applied there before you got furloughed. Basically you are saying that you only want SWA because there is no place else to go. (Besides Airtorch & jetblue)

People like me have wanted to work for SWA since I was born, that is why I left Eage for ASA before 911 to get the PIC time. So you are telling me that a United/USAir/etc furlough should be hired before me. They probably made fun of SWA years ago!!! I guarantee it!!! (This does not represent every furloughed pilots position, just my example)

Shroth

Thank's a lot chase for answering my question. You are a God sent angel to . Every question I have had about SWA you always manage to answer them.

Mad Dog 80

Chase/Anyone else-
Any idea if having a couple of speeding tickets will hurt somebody's chances for an interview? The question was asked in the TSA section of the app.....

Don't get to concerned about how to earn your point because from what I have been told SWA will have the capability of changing the weights for scoring everytime they do a computer search. One of the asst chiefs did say that it would be a very good idea for an applicant to update the application everyday after they flew so that the increased flight time would be in the application. As far as furloughed pilots as long as thy meet the currency requirement it should not be an issue.

SFR said:
If this comes across rude to furloughed guys/gals, I am sorry, I do not intend that, but this is my personal opinion.

I think that if you really wanted to work for SWA you should have applied there before you got furloughed. Basically you are saying that you only want SWA because there is no place else to go. (Besides Airtorch & jetblue)

People like me have wanted to work for SWA since I was born, that is why I left Eage for ASA before 911 to get the PIC time. So you are telling me that a United/USAir/etc furlough should be hired before me. They probably made fun of SWA years ago!!! I guarantee it!!! (This does not represent every furloughed pilots position, just my example)

Shroth

gee shroth...is there a box on the app to state that SWA was where you wanted to work since you were born? LOL

yes, a furloughee who has UA/US/etc furlough should be hired before you with all other things being equal.

you don't think a type rated 737 UA pilot is more qualified than you with all other things being equal?

Spanky2

I obviously have no way of knowing for sure since I'm not involved in the process. Just my thoughts.

SWA has hired furloughed folks in the past & will continue to do so. To not do so now would be setting a new precedent, something I don't believe SWA is desiring to do. I have flown with many Capts who were furloughed at one time or another & know of FOs who have been hired within the last 4 years who were furloughs/voluntarily left also. There are obviously more furloughed folks now than in years past, it makes sense we will hire some but that we will also not select quite a few. The same will be able to be said of any other category of pilot (military, prior 135, 121, corporate, frieght, etc) simply because there are so many folks from all of these categories applying.

While folks who don't get selected after the Decision Board (DB) meets will have lots of questions on why they weren't hired, don't fall for the trap that MERELY because the person was a furloughed pilot or from any particular "group", this resulted in them not being selected. It will generally be for other reasons IMHO, interview, paperwork, FAA/legal, LORs, etc.

Surveys show that the number one turn-off to persons on a first date is to bring up one's old flame. Making your previous employer the primary topic/focus is an obvious foul. However, the topic will come up about your previous employer, just be prepared to discuss it & have your thoughts on why you are applying to SWA. Be honest with yourself & with the interviewers, answer the questions how you think they should be answered, not how you think the interviewers want them answered...reading other minds can be hazardous to your career! Being yourself is the key. If you were a jerk at your old airline, you'll probably come across as one now, if you were a good guy/gal, then it should come across that way also.

No selection process is perfect but the folks at SWA are working hard to improve the process & give EVERYONE who interviews a fair shake. Hope that helps, cheers,

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back