• swa

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • jetblue

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fragglerock

Hello all,
I have been hired by both SWA and jetBlue. I've done some research on both companies and found out the obvious: they are both expanding and making money. The upgrade at JB comes rather quickly at between 12 and 18 months, whereas at SWA I understand it to be approx. 6-7 years. I was hoping I could get some additional input from everyone out there who reads these posts and are more familiar with the companies. I know what they fly, where they fly, and the domiciles. I know SWA is much larger, but that JB is expanding faster. With the situation the way it is currently in the industry, I am trying to make the best decision possible. I would appreciate any info from anyone currently flying for either carrier, or anyone who has any useful info to contribute. My clock is ticking! Thanks in advance for you help.

I'm a Boeing fan, so with that in mind, Southwest is where I wanna be, Besides, I don't want to waste 13 years and 7000 hours of 737 time. However, if JB called me tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to go there either. You want to be a Captain quick, go to JB. You want a choice of warm weather crew bases, along with some not so warm crew bases, go with Southwest. Actually, I'm incredibly envious that you have this choice to make. I gotta believe you are gonna be happy either way. Good luck.....

As you can tell by my 737 rating you know who I work for. SWA is a great place to work and have a lot of fun. Obviously it has a proven track record and a great business model. I guess you will have to look at where you want to live and if you are going to commute. SouthWest has Jet Blue beat in that area. If your more worried about upgrade then Jet Blue has Southwest beat. Good luck. You are the envy of a lot of pilots right now having two great offers.

When would you start?

A big question in my mind would be when do I start? Has JB offered you a class date? How far down are you in the pool at SW? I guess its worth waiting for your dream job but you aren't hired until you are sitting in a class with a new name tag so if JB offered a class date in the near future and I was still a hundred or so out at SW I think I'd go with JB, all other things being equal. I myself am particular to SW and their areas of operation and domicile, but thats just me. If you are ahead of me in the pool at SW I definitely want you to go with JB!

FJ

JB is not expanding faster than SWA. Percentage wise maybe, but overall they are leaps and bounds behind.

If you have 1 airplane and you add 1 then you have increased by 100%.

If you have 100 airlplanes and you add the same 1 then you have only increased by 1%

Go with your heart. Ignore the financials of the company. 30 years ago, the best airlines, the dream jobs, were at TWA and Pan Am. Guess where they are now? Southwest and Jetblue.

Whoever offers you a GS first is the one that you go with, I'd say, if EVERYTHING is truly equal. I'd go with JB, only for the quick upgrade.

What a wonderful predicament.

Both choices very good. Choose Southwest if you are completely risk averse and must absolutely have a "sure thing." Jetblue looks like a strong survivor though and I predict it will be a winner - I know that because I love their product and will select it over Southwest as a PAX if given the choice. The model works - low-cost/profitability mentality + comfortable seats/cabin + live TV + blue potato chips = winner

If you are completely neutral about location - choose Jet Blue for 2 reasons - faster upgrade time and more comfortable/ergonomic flight deck in the Airbus on those LONG transcon flights (Southwest now flies from BWI to LAX using 737-700s - a very tight fit for 5+ hours) - plus, you get to use those cool side-sticks!!!!

Congrats!

hopeful

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far with the insightful info. "Hopeful", I wasn't trying to start a debate, but percentage wise Jetblue is expanding faster than SWA. Thanks.

Flip a coin. Heads you win, tails you win. That being said you surely want to take the first start date. If things turn further down, it would be great to already have that employee number, since both companies would not want to furlough. Mo'better blue brought up a good point on the number of legs you want to fly. Flying with SWA I average 3-4 legs a day, sometimes 6 and rarely 2, but I love it that way. Good luck!

Fraggle,

The gut man....go with the gut! As I have found many times, if you try to out think and out plan you could be left wondering why you didn't just follow your gut feeling. I would suspect that you already know which answer is right for you and yours.....just follow through and you'll be happy with the results. Congrats on positioning yourself with a win-win decision :)

Latest resources

Back