Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

milflyboy

Hi Guys & Girls

Nice to meet you all. This is one great resource.

I have some questions regarding the online SWA application. Bear with me - I am Danish ;o)

1. When listing military aircraft(F16 etc.) do you select yes to typed or not?
2. I went to school in Denmark and the educations you can select online doesn't really apply except for the college one. Should I just list that one and forget about the rest or should I list what I went to before as high school even though it is different?
3. My current employer is known for throwing you a bad deal as soon as they figure out you are looking for an Airline job, so I have elected to check "no" to "can you be contacted at work". Does that look bad on a resume?
4. What do most military guys do under Experience? I have been employed by the Air Force for the last 10 years+. Should I list each position I have had in different entries or just settle for one entry? I guess this is mostly used for security checks etc., but are people also using this section to list a "standard" resume?
5. Would you include Glider hours in totals? I only have a little over 100 of them, but everything counts right?
6. Jet Fighter SIC is on the form - Does such a beast exist? Am I correct to assume that part61.51 PIC time and Dual received can only be listed in Total and no where else?
7. Are LORs sent directly to SWA or brought by me if/when I get an interview? Is this different for LORs from people within the company?
8. What is the list of stuff people have to bring when they get called for an interview?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Hey there great Dane,

I can address two of your questions. First, the 'can we call your employer' section. Fear not, SWA is very well aware that their call could spell trouble for you with your current boss. Sounds a bit like World Airways. Is it?

If you check the do not call box, they will only call (because they are required) if you are in the actual running to be hired. They will cover that in the interview. At least they did when I wen through the process. Since the question still remains in the application, I assume the procedure is the same.

The LOR's you physically bring with you to the interview, in fact they won't accept them before that. If you have friends at SW they can submit an online reccomendation in the pilot lounge, but the actual three letters you have to bring yourself.

The education thing, I would say just do your best with that. What is the problem? Is it the European secondary and university thing? That corresponds to high school and college in the US doesn't it?

No idea on the military stuff. All civilian here.

Best of luck with SWA. Check on the application to see if there is a phone number you can call to speak to someone about your specific questions. If not, there are pleany of guys on this forum that will have information for you.

milflyboy said:
Hi Guys & Girls

Nice to meet you all. This is one great resource.

I have some questions regarding the online SWA application. Bear with me - I am Danish ;o)

1. When listing military aircraft(F16 etc.) do you select yes to typed or not?
2. I went to school in Denmark and the educations you can select online doesn't really apply except for the college one. Should I just list that one and forget about the rest or should I list what I went to before as high school even though it is different?
3. My current employer is known for throwing you a bad deal as soon as they figure out you are looking for an Airline job, so I have elected to check "no" to "can you be contacted at work". Does that look bad on a resume?
4. What do most military guys do under Experience? I have been employed by the Air Force for the last 10 years+. Should I list each position I have had in different entries or just settle for one entry? I guess this is mostly used for security checks etc., but are people also using this section to list a "standard" resume?
5. Would you include Glider hours in totals? I only have a little over 100 of them, but everything counts right?
6. Jet Fighter SIC is on the form - Does such a beast exist? Am I correct to assume that part61.51 PIC time and Dual received can only be listed in Total and no where else?
7. Are LORs sent directly to SWA or brought by me if/when I get an interview? Is this different for LORs from people within the company?
8. What is the list of stuff people have to bring when they get called for an interview?

Sorry if this has been answered before.
Hi milflyboy:

1. No. If you don't have the type rating for that aircraft on your FAA ticket, then it's a "no."
2. Just call the nice folks at the People Department. Explain to them that you speak Danish, and that a danish is a doughnut without a hole. They're pretty cool and can steer you right...all you'll get here is a bunch of opinions, not facts.
3. I concur with the previous post. During my interview "in brief" we were told that checking "no" is just fine since they fully understand that current employer problems could arise.
4. Do not settle for one entry. You should put a new entry for every base you've been at for the last 5 years minimum, just like it says on the application. As far as position held, I just listed the highest aircraft rating I held in that job (ie: instructor pilot, mission pilot, stan/eval check pilot, student pilot, etc.)
5. Nope.
6. Don't mess with SIC for a single seater. N/A there.
7. I concur with the previous post.
8. They'll send you a packet of things to fill out. All very easy stuff. In the meantime, the big things you need to have ready now are: current US passport, First Class physical, ATP rating, and start cleaning up your logbooks.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for your answers.

RVR300 wrote:

"The education thing, I would say just do your best with that. What is the problem? Is it the European secondary and university thing? That corresponds to high school and college in the US doesn't it?"

It is different from country to country. The Danish secondary I went to is equivalent to something between High School and College, but I guess it is safe to just list it as High School.

Juvat wrote:
"2. Just call the nice folks at the People Department. Explain to them that you speak Danish, and that a danish is a doughnut without a hole. They're pretty cool and can steer you right...all you'll get here is a bunch of opinions, not facts."

LOL, Yeah - You are right. You are handing me my interview. Keep it coming. More danish jokes please. :)

Juvat wrote:

"4. Do not settle for one entry. You should put a new entry for every base you've been at for the last 5 years minimum, just like it says on the application. As far as position held, I just listed the highest aircraft rating I held in that job (i.e.: instructor pilot, mission pilot, stan/eval check pilot, student pilot, etc.)"

SWA writes: "You are required to list all employment/unemployment for the last 10 (10) years or back to age 18 (month you were born) whichever is shorter.

Even if I ad all the bases the Company is still the same. I am not employed by the base. Even though I spent 4 years at a US base my employer was still the Royal Danish Air Force. But you are probably right that it looks better to list it that way.

Juvat wrote:

5. Nope.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

It is just a cheesy 100 hours, but I feel it is experience that should be mentioned as I feel it makes me better for the job. I wouldn't want to change the 100 hour glider experience for 100 hour F16 experience if I could. Scandinavian Airlines crash landed an MD-80 in a field back in the early nineties. Both engines quit(Improper deicing of the aircraft led to chunks of ice breaking off and being ingested into both engines) after T/O at 3000 feet and the Captain managed to glide it to a field saving all pax. The investigation board found that his previous glider experience was a player in the successful outcome of the incident.

Juvat wrote:

6. Don't mess with SIC for a single seater. N/A there.

Kin da figured that one. Just thought it was funny Jet Fighter SIC was even mentioned.

Juvat wrote:

"....current US passport"

Oh no, I am in trouble :eek:

What about driving records? Do they pull them themselves or do you have to bring them?

Do I need a "Temporary Operator Permit for the Ship, Aircraft, Restricted Radiotelephone, Restricted Radiotelephone-Limited Use, and GMRS Radio Services"? :)

Remember from a job fair that this was sometimes required to apply.

I know I am trying to make it into rocket science :)

RVR300 wrote:
"They also have great butter. The Danes that is."

Never knew that our butter was anything special.

Thanks again guys

milflyboy said:
5. Nope.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

It is just a cheesy 100 hours, but I feel it is experience that should be mentioned as I feel it makes me better for the job. I wouldn't want to change the 100 hour glider experience for 100 hour F16 experience if I could. Scandinavian Airlines crash landed an MD-80 in a field back in the early nineties. Both engines quit(Improper deicing of the aircraft led to chunks of ice breaking off and being ingested into both engines) after T/O at 3000 feet and the Captain managed to glide it to a field saving all pax. The investigation board found that his previous glider experience was a player in the successful outcome of the incident.
Yes I agree that glider time can be quite useful and have a lot of it myself. Howver, What SWA really wants to know about is your turbine PIC. If the online app has a place for glider time then included it, if not, then DON'T. You can put it on your resume and even use it in a story at the interview, but you are highly quified applicant, don't even create the appearance of padding your time.

I assume your time was in Wichita Falls I was there in 92-93.

Best of luck.

Yes I agree that glider time can be quite useful and have a lot of it myself. Howver, What SWA really wants to know about is your turbine PIC. If the online app has a place for glider time then included it, if not, then DON'T. You can put it on your resume and even use it in a story at the interview, but you are highly quified applicant, don't even create the appearance of padding your time.

I assume your time was in Wichita Falls I was there in 92-93.

Best of luck.
Turbine PIC is listed separately. I was just wanting to ad it to total, but I guess I will just drop it. Not worth it if anybody considers it padding.

Were you at Sheppard as a stud or IP in 92-93? I guess as a stud since you only listed 1 year. I was in Class 93-02. Later came back as an IFF IP 1999-2003

Last edited:
Whoops, you're right milf, it's 10 years (not 5 like I said). Regarding what to enter on the application, I'll just tell you what I did. In other words, this is pure opinion. I put in a new entry for each base I was at, and in the "reason for leaving" section put "military transfer." As for you and the Danish Air Force, I don't know how best to apply your situation to SWA's requirements. This would be a good question to ask the People Department. Don't worry, they won't bite. I have lots of friends who have called them, and they're always very gracious and helpful.

Regarding 100 hours of glider time, it's not powered flight, and I don't think it weighs very heavily on your marketability as a future airline pilot. I would also not enter gyrocopter or blimp time, even if it showed how well-rounded I might be.

SWA pulls driving records for you. All you have to do is fill out the national driver record form (which they send to you in your interview packet) and bring on the interview day.

No radio operator permits required.

Take care!

Thanks Juvat.

I already talked to them earlier regarding a different matter and like you said they are very friendly.
I will follow your example and list all the bases I have been at. Makes it look more like a standard resume.

Latest resources

Back