• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA on-time performance takes hit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This isn't the SWA of old. They are morphing in to a legacy. This merger will just accelerate the transition. Your gonna have disgruntled employees after this merger. Not sure on which side, yet.

If there isn't a Staple, then it will be the SWA guys. Even though they themselves aren't giving up a dime in compensation, they think it is horrible that the AT pilots might get a huge raise, and get blended in with them on the list, even though most of the AT PILOTS NEVER PAID FOR THEIR TYPE RATINGS! Oh the Humanity!

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Southwest Airlines concept will never catch on. That airline will never survive!

Are you talking about your culture? You may be correct there. When half of the group is disgruntled, the family concept is thrown out the window. When that is gone, going the extra mile (or extra leg, making it 6 for the day at SWA) just won't happen. I hope you guys can pull together and make this merger a fair one, and then things will get better. HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY.

Bye Bye---General Lee

But it's interesting- all other airlines fly into larger airports. USAir took the lead on on-time by adding time on the ground-

On-time performance is one of those numbers that's become a goal in and of itself w/o regard to what it represents - which is better? Pissing off pax's by arriving w/o their bag- or missing their connection and staying a night in a hotel-?
Or actually doing what we promised?

I got news for you sport. Nobody but managers and the FAA statisticians give a rats too too about on time performance.
There is no such thing as "brand loyalty."
The only thing the pax care about is how much the ticket is going to cost them...............THAT'S IT!

There is no such thing as "brand loyalty."
The only thing the pax care about is how much the ticket is going to cost them...............THAT'S IT!
I would disagree. Southwest customers have "brand loyalty" to the point of "blind loyalty." Since SWA doesn't allow its fares to be compared side-by-side with other airlines on sites like Expedia or Orbitz, SWA's customers assume that SWA has the lowest fare, and book on them, although they are probably spending a few (many) bucks more.

This is just my experience, though. I'm sure there are many markets where SWA is the cheaper, but from where my family flies to/from they are never.

Example:
EWR to PHX RT departing April 8, returning April 15
SWA: $450.80 (travel time 15h:10min with one stop/plane change each way)
CAL: $389.40 (travel time 9h:51min non-stop each way)

Even with a $50 bag fee, CAL still has SWA beat.

Last edited:
This isn't the SWA of old. They are morphing in to a legacy. This merger will just accelerate the transition. Your gonna have disgruntled employees after this merger. Not sure on which side, yet.

This!

I fly around the country a lot, and what is most interesting is how Southwest has figured out that sometimes if they hold a connecting flight at the end of the evening...the passengers remember that. So SW looks at the large picture of getting them to their destination no matter what.

I have never seen the other carriers care about that what-so-ever. Delta's goal is to push on time(which on paper looks good). Even the last flight out, come hell or high water it's gonna leave on time if not early. Late connecting passengers be damned. It's amazing to me how many people are stranded each night in the Delta hubs.

That leads to brand loyalty or dis-loyalty.

I guess it's good for the local hotels though.

Last edited:
I fly around the country a lot, and what is most interesting is how Southwest has figured out that sometimes if they hold a connecting flight at the end of the evening...the passengers remember that. So SW looks at the large picture of getting them to their destination no matter what.

I have never seen the other carriers care about that what-so-ever. Delta's goal is to push on time(which on paper looks good). Even the last flight out, come hell or high water it's gonna leave on time if not early. Late connecting passengers be damned. It's amazing to me how many people are stranded each night in the Delta hubs.

That leads to brand loyalty or dis-loyalty.

I guess it's good for the local hotels though.

Red,
I used to be a commuter and used both AAI and DAL exclusively. I have seen both of them hold the last flight for late connections on several occasions. Believe it or not it does happen. Also keep in mind that when you hold that flight there are many people unhappy as they are delayed late at night. There are 2 sides to every coin. YMMV

Latest resources

Back