Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RadioClash

SWA guys and gals,

First, wanted to say thanks for many rides to and from home/work. Great gate agents and flight crews. Just a few questions for you..

I was in city X going to city Z with a stop in Y. I was told that I would not be bumped at the intermediate stop by another non-rev. I was curious as to if they meant I would not be bumped by another off line jumpseater or bumped by a SWA non-rev. Seems kind of crazy that a SWA employee would not be able to bump an offline guy at an intermediate stop.

Also, as I was waiting to board a SWA Captain walked by asked me about my commute and said that I should pre-board. I had a group B boarding pass and was under the impression that I should be last to board. If I am bumming a ride off of you guys I don't want to cut in front of your paying passengers. What is the procedure at SWA?

Thanks again.

A company non-rev could have bumped you but not an off-line jumpseater (this is assuming the 2 legs were coded with the same flight#, in other words, a direct flight).

Per the actual rules, you should have boarded with the B group as you are not a company jumpseater (since you were sitting in back). However, it's not unusual for a Captain or gate agent to tell you to go ahead and preboard (a courtesy and it kind of gets you out of the way). If you were CASS with a full flight, to sit up front, preboarding would have been the correct time to board.

This is correct as I understand it. I could be totally wrong, too!

Glad the ride worked out for you.

Good luck,
shootr

BTW, even a company jumpseater is only supoosed to preboard if in uniform (if sitting in the back) but this is usually not enforced.

Last edited:
SWA treats jumpseaters and non-revs exceedingly well. I've always enjoyed riding with you guys. I do have a question for Shootr though. You mentioned that if we anticipate sitting in the actual that we should preboard. I was recently in that situation and chose to board last figuring that I would be less likely to be in the way. During the boarding process it seems that there are frequent visits to the cockpit from customer service, purser, and occasionally MX. I figure by boarding last or remaining in the jetway that I am out everyone's way. However if SWA captains expect us to check in earlier I'll change my ways. I've just been doing what I thought was easiest for the crew that's kind enough to give me a lift. Any WN captains have some input?

Sorry for thread creep, but how soon after you start class (with SWA) can you jumpseat on other CASS carriers? Just wondering how soon CASS updates?

Thanks
JJ

If you're going to sit up front, preboard, check in with the Captain, stow your bags and then wait patiently in the jetway. I don't think most Captains care when you check in but it helps you to stow your bag before all the bin space is taken.

shootr

JumpJetter...

JumpJetter said:
Sorry for thread creep, but how soon after you start class (with SWA) can you jumpseat on other CASS carriers? Just wondering how soon CASS updates?

Thanks
JJ

They tell you that you can right-away. However, one of my classmates tried to go on another CASS carrier last Friday night and was denied due to, we suspect, not being in the system yet. Granted, we submitted our paperwork on Thursday, so I think it takes a few days to actually get in the system.

JumpJetter said:

Thanks
JJ
immediately. when you get a break from class, go over to the terminal and ask a SW gate agent to check and see if you're in class. My class was in the system that first weekend.

Latest resources

Back