Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SDCFI

Registered Offender
Since Southwest allows you to credit an unused ticket toward future flights has anyone bought a ticket and then tried to jumpseat if there are open seats to save money? Would this be considered taboo by the gate agents and more work for them or would they mind? I'm considering trying to jumpseat home X-mas eve if there are open seats. If I make it I'll buy a one-way ticket back but ask for the j/s if I can swing it. Sound like a viable plan? I want to have a ticket back so if I do get stuck I'll have an out for missing work, but I'm always looking to save cash if I can. Thanks for the advice.

Don't know what the answer is for an offline jumpseater but for someone who works for SWA, that is a firing offense. The idea being that if it was legal, everyone would buy a seat as a 'back-up' and then jumpseat and save the money. The problem is that the act of buying a seat artificially pushes up the load factor and may deny a paying customer the opportunity to buy a seat. If you actually work for SWA, buying a ticket between any two cities means that you cannot jumpseat or non-rev between them on that same day.

Hopefully some jumpseat committee type or offline jumpseat expert can give us an authoritative answer. My gut feeling is that no, you cannot do it and it could have negative reprecussions if you did, but I cannot say that definitively.

That's just rude.

SDCFI said:
Since Southwest allows you to credit an unused ticket toward future flights has anyone bought a ticket and then tried to jumpseat if there are open seats to save money?

If you want to travel with the security of a full fare passenger then buy the ticket and eat your peanuts.

But if you want to enjoy the privilege of traveling like a professional then I think you should act like one and not try to screw the very company that's extending its jumpseat to you.

C'mon, what you're proposing is just plain rude.

SDCFI said:
Since Southwest allows you to credit an unused ticket toward future flights has anyone bought a ticket and then tried to jumpseat if there are open seats to save money? Would this be considered taboo by the gate agents and more work for them or would they mind? I'm considering trying to jumpseat home X-mas eve if there are open seats. If I make it I'll buy a one-way ticket back but ask for the j/s if I can swing it. Sound like a viable plan? I want to have a ticket back so if I do get stuck I'll have an out for missing work, but I'm always looking to save cash if I can. Thanks for the advice.

on or offline, it would be your last free flight. You would be blackballed for ever.

I had to stop by before Christmas to see what was going on.

Those responses are " priceless ". LOL

If you want to save money and your J.O.B., buy the ticket.

Aloha for now.

Mele Kalikimaka to all

Latest resources

Back