SWA Hiring update and Interview Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kelbill

Well, I needed something to read this morning when I sat down to send a message to Kerry, and picked up the Company's September edition of Fly By. Flight Ops related stuff and usually very interesting info in it. I don't think any of the info regarding hiring was Top Secret or higher, so I will pick out the info that I think some of the SWAnabbes and current Poolies might be interested in.

1. Several thousand online apps on file.
  2. Standard things considered (meet min flight times, etc) in getting interview, but education and the 737 type are considered. Neither are show stoppers, but it goes to show that the heavier resume often wins.
  3. Spend entire day in Dallas for Interview, split up by lunch at HQ.
    • One group does 3 interviews, one being with a People Department Recruiter, and the other two being with Pilots. Additionally, your log book will be reviewed.
    • The other group does the LOI (Line Oriented Interview) which consists of a decision making exercise conducted in a paper cockpit trainer at the Training Center. Two additional Pilot Interviewers conduct it. They are looking for a good thinking process, ability to make decisions, use all resources, etc.
    • After lunch, the two groups switch.
  4. Interviewee is scored in each of the above events. So 4 pilots look at you and only 1 People Department individual.
  5. The Decision Committe evaluates ALL fo the applicants and make the final hiring decision. It consists of the VP of Flight Ops, VP of People Department, Senior Chief Pilot, Resgional Chief Pilots, and all other Chief Pilots from the domiciles.
  6. Committe reviews resume, flight times, checkrides, incidents/accidents, interview results, LOI results, references, training records, and letters of recommendation.
  7. Letters of Recommendation can make a big difference, so if you are interviewing and know someone here, get as many as you can. Make sure they are accurate and sound good.
  8. Select rate for the past several months is 50%, almost double the historical rate of the past decade. That tells you that times are good for getting hired if you get the interview, but also tells you that nothing is guaranteed. I guess I got lucky 5 years ago when I interviewed if the rate was about 25% then.
  9. Plan for 2004 is 404 pilots.
  10. Plan for 2005 is 500+ pilots.
  11. Update your online application every 6 months, minimum. It might ensure it stays active.
Hope this info helps those looking to come on board at SWA. Good luck. I look forward to each and every one of you increasing my seniority.

Thanks, Kelbill!

Here's to hoping that elusive call will come soon for me and those in the same boat as I am!

CaptainBrazilia said:
Thanks, Kelbill!

Here's to hoping that elusive call will come soon for me and those in the same boat as I am!
Let's hope it's not a Swift Boat.

I'm nowhere NEAR that swift-boat, Babaganoosh!

more interviews per day

On Sep 3rd, Ryan from HR briefed our HPA class that they were looking to hire another 120 this year and 500+ next year. He also said they were looking to bring in additional HR people to start interviewing 24 per day (probably starting that the first of next year)...just FYI... Good Luck to all!

Ryan was one of my interviewers. He's a really nice guy--seemed to be typical of everyone we ran into at SWA HQ.

Good luck to everyone waiting for the call!

24 doesn't seem to insane to me. Remember, they split them up into 2 groups, so 12 would get oral interviews in the morning, while 12 got the Line Oriented Interview with the paper trainer. SWA doesn't like to waste money, so if the interviewers are in town, and being paid, they need to maximize their use.

24 a day is not insane. rumor has it swa is buying ATA's equipment(not crews) plus they have 31 737-700's that they are buying from an unknown source by the end of the year. (plus all of the confirmed orders from boeing)

I wouldn't hold your breath on the ATA equipment buy rumor. Their 737s are all 800s if I recall properly. Besides, I wouldn't write them off yet anyway. I sure hope things improve over there as they are a nice bunch of folks, at least in my dealings. Now where did you hear about the 31 additional 737s we are getting from an unknown source this year? We are big on efficiency, so they would all have to be -700 models in my humble opinion, and I don't think another carrier out there has nearly that many to get rid of. Maybe a lease firm. Its a good rumor anyway as it helps my seniority, but I can't jump on that bandwagon yet.

Latest resources

Back