• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dab

yea baby.......

Tuesday May 7, 7:00 am Eastern Time

Press Release
SOURCE: Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Initiates Its First Nonstop Transcontinental Flights
Nonstop Service Connects Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles; Airline Also Adds Flights in Midwest, East Coast, and West Coast
DALLAS, May 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - news) continues its expansion plans with a bold move by introducing its first nonstop cross-country flights, accompanied by additional short and medium length flights along the coasts and in the Midwest.

Southwest will begin its first regularly scheduled nonstop coast-to-coast service Sept. 15 with two daily flights between Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles.

"The timing is right to give our Customers the chance to fly nonstop across our nation at a price they can afford," said Joyce Rogge, Southwest's senior vice president of marketing. "Our belief is that we will be able to stimulate new business travel because of our low fares in this long haul market. In fact, we are introducing this new nonstop service with a fare of only $99 each way."

At the same time, Southwest is not neglecting its niche of short and medium length flights, which combine to make up more than 80 percent of its routes. On Sept. 15, the airline will begin daily nonstop service between St. Louis and Las Vegas with one daily flight, and it will add another nonstop flight between Los Angeles and Sacramento (for a total of nine daily nonstop flights each way). Southwest is introducing the St. Louis-Las Vegas flight with a special fare of $99 each way.

Beginning Oct. 6, Southwest also will add another new daily nonstop flight up and down the East Coast between each of the following cities:

Providence and Tampa Bay (for a total of three daily nonstop flights each way)
Providence and Orlando (for a total of four daily nonstop flights each way)
Manchester and Tampa Bay (for a total of two daily nonstop flights each way)
Manchester and Orlando (for a total of three daily nonstop flights each way)
Southwest will create the new service by accepting four previously deferred aircraft deliveries from The Boeing Co. With these four additional aircraft, Southwest will have accepted delivery of 18 aircraft in 2002, bringing its fleet total to 370 Boeing 737 aircraft. These 18 aircraft are part of the 19 aircraft deliveries deferred last fall.

The new nonstop service between Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles will be Southwest's longest flight with a distance of 2,329 miles. The airline's longest current flight is between Providence and Phoenix with a distance of 2,277 miles.

Southwest's introductory fare of $99 each way for the nonstop service between Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles or between St. Louis and Las Vegas is on sale now through Sept. 15, 2002, for travel Sept. 15 through Oct. 25, 2002. The following restrictions also apply. The fare requires roundtrip purchase with an overnight stay (any night). Tickets must be purchased at least seven days before departure and within one day of making reservations. Fares do not include a federal segment tax of $3 per takeoff and landing. Fares do not include airport-assessed passenger facility charges of up to $7.50 roundtrip or federal September 11th Security Fees of up to $5 roundtrip per person. Tickets are nonrefundable but (except for tickets purchased through our Group Tickets program) may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines. Seats are limited and may not be available on some flights that operate during peak or holiday travel times. Fares are subject to change until ticketed, and any change in itinerary could result in an increase in the fare. The offer applies only to the new nonstop flights between Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles or between St. Louis and Las Vegas.

Southwest Airlines is the nation's fourth largest carrier in terms of Customer boardings. The airline serves 59 airports in 58 cities in 30 states. The airline currently has more than 34,000 Employees and operates nearly 2,800 flights a day.

www.southwest.com

SOURCE: Southwest Airlines

When you think the future is not so bright. Things catch us off guard.
Could this mean summer school?
Keeping the faith
John

We are Borg..

Resistance is futile..

Prepare to be assimilated..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

Great news!!!

Well, there's the expansion we needed to see before they schedule any more classes. They had added flights every month this year through June, but chose not to add any in July or Aug. Now the expansion will start again in Sep., so guessing about a two month lead time for classes I think we'll see a late July or early August class. Any other guesses?

Now let's just hope they get back to making these new service announcements on a monthly basis...

T1bubba
I can almost touch the bottom :)

Last edited:
InHot,

Not if I don't have to! I'm saving up my energy for SWA!! :D

Thanks for your help with the list. This will definately save me a lot of time.

W8n4swa:cool:

Last edited:
The Future

Well let's see where we stand.

SWA is sked for a net gain of 17 jets this year (19 new jets - 2 200 series retirements). We've been told they man 11 pilots per jet. That's 187 new pilots they need for the new jets.

We've also been told they will have 50 retirements this year - which they will have to replace.

187 + 50 = 237 pilots... That's real close to the 250 new pilots Dumbo told us they would need in 02 (heard that at my interview in Jan).

How many have they hired so far in 02?

Jan 3 classes of 20 = 60
Feb 2 classes of 20 =40
Mar 2 classes of 20 =40
Apr 1 class of 16 = 16
Total so far hired = 156

Plus I think one class in Feb had 26 guys, so add another 6 and you get 162 hired so far.

250 - 162 = 88 more guys they need for this year (based on the 17 jet net gain sked so far and the 50 retirements)

That's four new classes - minimum to meet their manning.

Now, if they order any new planes, well 11 guys per plane.

Of course all of the above is assuming 11 pilots per jet and 50 retirements for the year.

Now, when they sked those classes is another issue. If we knew the airplane delivery sked I guess we could calculate that.

Maybe this is way off base, but at least it helped pass 20 minutes for me!

Well done, InHot! Your twenty minutes of effort yielded a very entertaining product. I hope your prognostications are correct, if not a little conservative.

And I hope I'm not number 89 on the list.

As a wise friend once told me, the only thing better than an airline job is an airline job with some line numbers below you.

Cheers,
HP

Hey guys... I did a little digging this morning regarding SWA aircraft delieveries.

The following was taken from the SWA Oct 18, 2001 3rd qtr earnings report and reflects the revised SWA aircraft delivery sked post 9/11. The complete earnings report is available on the following link:

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html

After addressing the 2002 delivery of the 19 defferred aircraft the report goes on...

[QUOTE Boeing has agreed to adjust delivery dates for the remaining 113 future firm orders as follows: 13 737-700
aircraft in 2003, 23 in 2004, 24 in 2005, 22 in 2006, 25 in 2007, and 6 in 2008. Boeing and Southwest also agreed to schedule 87 purchase options for years 2003 through 2008 as follows: 13 in 2004, 20 in 2005, 20 in 2006, 9 in 2007, and 25 in 2008. In total, Southwest's firm orders, options, and purchase rights through 2012 remain unchanged at 436. [/QUOTE]

Just as they were able to revise the delivery sked down post 9/11 I'm sure they could accelerate the sked as conditions warrant. Let's hope that is the case and we see additional aircraft delivered in 2002.

I've got my fingers crossed, but also seeking other employment in the meantime!

Latest resources

Back