SWA going to Denver!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speed said:
I do believe that the "Southwest Effect" will end up benefiting all of our airlines as well as the State of Colorado and every human being who has the opportunity to visit this great land now.

WHOA..........easy on the kool-aid there Sparky.

The "Southwest Effect" will benefit SWA and SWA only.

capt. megadeth said:
WHOA..........easy on the kool-aid there Sparky.

The "Southwest Effect" will benefit SWA and SWA only.

It is a fact. Cite Philly...........

Philadelphia - Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) marked yet another milestone in passenger traffic by processing a record 31,074,454 air travelers in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2004 and ending June 30, 2005. The new record smashed the previous all-time high of 26,190,976 in FY 2004. Since FY 2003, PHL's passenger volume has soared a staggering 28% from 24,232,804.

Or it could of been due to the new pretzel vendor in the E Terminal. The Pretzel Effect.

Last edited:
SoCentralRain said:
Okay hang on here while I catch my breath.

Allright, that's better.

Do you mean to tell me that you think UAL has only one hub? Hello? Been to ORD lately?

I think you mean that DEN is UAL's only Ted hub. Not too clear, skykid.

Cheers,
SCR

Actually, ORD is an American Hub. They just allow UAL to operate there. ;)

canyonblue said:
It is a fact. Cite Philly...........

Or it could of been due to the new pretzel vendor in the E Terminal. The Pretzel Effect.

Don't forget King of Pizza in B! Awsome pie!
:beer:

Also the media keeps bringing up PHL as an example of how low the fares go when SWA comes to town. This was true for legacy carrier hubs without any true low fare competition (PHL), but that isn't DEN.

IMHO I don't think DEN will change much after the initial fare sales and promotions fade. F9 v UA has brought fares down something like 25% in the last four years.

The "Southwest Effect" will wear off in DEN when people get past the hype and realize Frontier offers a better customer experience.

SWA flights may be "fun" or "zany" (or whatever you want to call it), but anyone who feels they offer a better product than Frontier is kidding themselves.

By the way, this is great news for commuters who fly from DEN to places like MDW, PHX, OAK, LAS, etc. Cuz you can bet UAL will be adding more flights from DEN to everywhere SWA's gonna be flying...

Speed said:
Herb told him fine, and even stated on the News that we're pulling out of Colorado and it'll be a Cold, Cold day in Colorado before we ever come back.

I was living in Colorado and based in Denver at the time. Although as I recall, it was then Gov. Roy Romer that was involved with Herb in the "battle of wills". (Of course, that's only how I remember it and in no way imply this as fact.:erm: :D )

F/O said:
The "Southwest Effect" will wear off in DEN when people get past the hype and realize Frontier offers a better customer experience.

SWA flights may be "fun" or "zany" (or whatever you want to call it), but anyone who feels they offer a better product than Frontier is kidding themselves.

The southwest effect hasn't worn off in 30 years, and I would not bet the farm on you "customer experience". We do a pretty good job at what we do, which explains why we are the largest domestic carrier in the US. If it doesn't work we will leave, no sense loosing money. Our goal is to be the largest most profitable LCC at each destination we serve, last time I looked UAL wasn't a LCC, gee who would that leave. Good luck, only time will tell.

F/O said:

Since when do price sensitive travelers care about who offers a "better customer experience?" Many, many business travelers prefer WN over any of the legacies due to the greater convenience and customer service.
Bottom line is that Southwest will set the price in Denver. If you don't want to lose too many customers, you had better match. They are coming to play.

Here is the thing.... Yes SWA will bring in lower fares, and F9 and UAL will match the fares. But, remember, this is F9's turf, and they employee a lot of people in the area, and there is a lot of loyal F9 pax since it is Colorado's only airline. Plus, F9 does offer a better service. Since many people who travel F9 live in COL, all F9 has to do is match SW's prices, and SWA will have a problem filling seats to the same destinations. This is sort of the same thing that has happened in Seattle. SW, hasn't crushed Alaska like they would have hoped. There are a lot of loyal AS customers up and down the west coast, and as long as AS continues to match their faires, or even within $5 bucks, SW won't be able to pull pax from AS like they have from many other airlines. Thus the reason SW wanted to try and gain a cost advantage over AS by moving to Boeing Field. F9 will have their hands full, but it shouldn't take too much to protect their turf!! Yes, SWA is a incredably strong company, but if it weren't for their fuel hedges, their in the same boat as everyone else. If fuel stays at $60 a barrel, SWA will eventually be paying what everyone else is (even if its not until 2010, and they have all but taken over the world). And then they won't have the cost advantage over other airlines!! Just something to chew on!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back