SWA flight lands at O'Hare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Tell you what. You stop making fun of accidents and aircraft that were involved with a child losing his life and I will stop making fun of the probably one statement that you have made on flightinfo. Deal?

Give the guy a break. FN FAL's comment was even more tasteless, yet I didnt see you chastise him.

WMUchickenhawk said:
Give the guy a break. FN FAL's comment was even more tasteless, yet I didnt see you chastise him.
Whew...I thought I made three tasteless comments, but who's counting?

I see "9G Club" as the user name, then check the rest of the profile to find "<40." You're already fighting a losing battle, mi amigo.

At least you had the SA to apologize and STFU. That's more than some members of this board can say.

On topic: I wonder what CNN was saying when they broke the news... "This continues a string of problems for SWA..." or something like that...I bet. Idiots.

Furthermore...do you think that the previous incident factored into the decision to land at O'Hare? I'd put my money on that. Smart move.

Fury220 said:
Furthermore...do you think that the previous incident factored into the decision to land at O'Hare? I'd put my money on that. Smart move.

For sure it DIDN'T. The onboard computer that calculates landing distances would show that a one engine landing at Flap 15 at a heavy weight would require a longer runway than MDW has. This is often noted before the takeoff and the plan is to go to O'Hare if anything happens.

canyonblue737 said:
For sure it DIDN'T. The onboard computer that calculates landing distances would show that a one engine landing at Flap 15 at a heavy weight would require a longer runway than MDW has. This is often noted before the takeoff and the plan is to go to O'Hare if anything happens.

Noted. Makes sense.

the bottom line is .............

I'm glad that no one was hurt (bird not included).
It sounds like the crew did a great job during a bad situation.

BBD

FN FAL said:
Whew...I thought I made three tasteless comments, but who's counting?

I've been lurking here for a few months, my tolerances for tastelessness are pretty high, so I probably just looked right past them. ;)

canyonblue737 said:

SWA crews have routinely been briefing that we would divert to ORD in case of an engine loss on takeoff from MDW. In fact it was so routine that a couple of years ago SWA got a message from the FAA that the inspectors doing linechecks out of MDW were bothered by the fact that crews were not even considering a return to MDW.

9GClub said:
I said 1+ Gs dudes, by which I meant positive linear acceleration sufficient to influence perception and induce acute physiological distortion-- which doesn't happen unless it's more than 1G.

English man!!!! English.:confused:

I'm sure the Midway-Ohare pairing for emergencies for SWA is as common as the LGA-JFK pairing is for just about everyone. Who wants to take a max GW jet back to a dinky little airport when a wide-open mega runway awaits just moments away.

Latest resources

Back