Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA flight continues for 75 minutes after rapid depresurization!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I declare this thread officially beat to death. May it rest in peace, starting ........ NOW

As a recently retired AA pilot I think the SWA crew did exactly what we would have done and continued to destination with the pressurization maintaining a safe cabin altitude. SWA does a fine job and AA might have to observe their operating procedures to learn how to compete in todays market.

AA used to make a profit making ultra conservative decisions taking the pilots out of the loop and just not caring about completing the mission. Now we have to fly a little smarter and let the pilots help get the job done safely. Ex Aircal where SWA learned their 25 minute turns.

bubbers said:
Ex Aircal where SWA learned their 25 minute turns.

The entire intrastate idea was sold to Herb based on AirCal and PSA. I flew both of them when I lived in CA, great airlines.

The tale begins on an afternoon in 1966 when businessman Rollin King strolled into a San Antonio law firm for a meeting. His attorney, Herb Kelleher, had been helping him dispose of his small commuter airline that was losing money flying to small towns like Laredo and Eagle Pass. Rollin wanted to discuss a new business venture. He proposed to serve large cities in Texas instead of the small towns his commuter airline was serving.

Herb did not know much about airlines at the time, but he definitely knew a crackpot idea when he heard one! He decided it was best to discuss this crazy idea elsewhere, so the two gentlemen headed to San Antonio’s elite St. Anthony’s Club. To illustrate his idea, Rollin drew a triangle on a cocktail napkin, with the corners representing the Texas cities of Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

Rollin expounded on his new idea. “Herb,” he said, “just listen a minute. As an intrastate carrier, we wouldn’t be subject to CAB (Civil Aeronautics Board) restrictions, and that offers all sorts of blessings and benefits right there. Oh, I know, a lot of intrastate carriers have had a hard time, but they weren’t in the right states. You’ve got to have a commercially booming state with some really big cities far enough apart to make bus or car travel inconvenient. Offhand, I only can think of two states like that. California’s one-and that’s why Pacific Southwest Airlines and Air California are going great guns as intrastate carriers. The other state is Texas, Herb, and we don’t have an airline like that.”

“Where would we get the capital?” asked Herb. Stunned, Rollin replied, “Capital? Oh, I guess we’ll have to raise it.”

Herb shut his eyes for several seconds, and when he opened them, there was Rollin grinning at him like a crazed man filled with determination.

Herb exclaimed, “Rollin, you’re crazy. Let’s do it!”

Last edited:
Prog 2/2 said:
------------------------
Last edited by Prog 2/2 : Today at 05:03. Reason: deleted cause it ain't worth the time

Thankyou for sparing us.

"Those most concerned with the path of righteousness most often have very little acquaintance with the journey it provides....." Smart dead Asian guy

Its amazing to me how the glass house crowd throws the most stones. We should know as professional aviators that there are two types of pilots; those who have, and those who will. No group is immune from error or fate. This was a benign incident. Need we remind ourselves that neither our W2, nor the company listed on it make us the pilots, or men that we are, for better or for worse.

If you think that SWA has ingrained a culture of completion above all else, you are dead wrong. We have some great managers that allow us to think on our feet and move quickly to keep the machine moving. Nowhere do I recall safety being a secondary consideration. I never remember flying from SYR to MHT unpressurized as an emergency procedure....even in a jet. I have done it hundreds of times in many aircraft. Jets can do it too. I would recommend that those who dont work at SWA and choose to judge our culture or anything else for that matter, take a look at the thread pummelling jetblue about 5 year contracts and not paying for jets before you throw another stone.....but then again, maybe you were throwing stones there too. If you dont KNOW, you dont know.

PS Linecheck....look into your flying background and previous employers and look at the bodycount before you point a finger in anyones direction. Those who have, and those who will...remember. We all train and fly every day to avoid the "Will" category. Also, we all know that anyone can be had on a linecheck, I used to give em, and I have taken a bunch of em. The self righteous ones usually arent capable of passing their very own checkrides.

TexaSWA said:
Last edited by Prog 2/2 : Today at 05:03. Reason: deleted cause it ain't worth the time

Thankyou for sparing us.

Didn't wanna interfere with your little mutual strokefest.

Section 91.7: Civil aircraft airworthiness.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it is in an airworthy condition.
(b) The pilot in command of a civil aircraft is responsible for determining whether that aircraft is in condition for safe flight. The pilot in command shall discontinue the flight when unairworthy mechanical, electrical, or structural conditions occur.

1. Did the pilots know there was not structual damage to the aircraft?
2. Would the 737 be consider "Airworthy after this event?

If you answer NO to any of those questions then you think these guys broke the FARs.

The FAA has violated several airline pilots for continuing flights when an unairworthy condition occurs in-flight.

Latest resources

Back