Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
As an outside observer watching things, one thing I take from this is that this ain't grand-dads SWA anymore. For them to entertain the idea of a merger/takeover/buyout/etc of a non-737 airline, that kind of surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't.

Maybe some SWA guys can chime in, but it looks like a different corporate attitude exists at SWA.

You guys have a great company (save a seat for when I retire, will ya), but again, times are changing it would appear.

That's a very condescending comment coming from a GA pilot. Maybe when you start showing a little respect for those with infinitely more experience, they'll look at your application before it heads for the circular file.

This is a different Southwest because times have changed and management is trying to change with them.

People always like to point to SW entering new markets that doesn't fit the previous mold (ie BOS, LGA). It's really only because the market has changed. More low cost carriers serving the central cities and legacies that have reduced their cost thru bankruptcy. You either compete for market share or die.

Not sure if that helps...

As an outside observer watching things, one thing I take from this is that this ain't grand-dads SWA anymore. For them to entertain the idea of a merger/takeover/buyout/etc of a non-737 airline, that kind of surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't.

Maybe some SWA guys can chime in, but it looks like a different corporate attitude exists at SWA.

You guys have a great company (save a seat for when I retire, will ya), but again, times are changing it would appear.

Actually, from a big picture perspective, it was probably more about the removal of competition. It appears that WN believes the Denver market can support only two large players in the market and that Frontier is an obstacle to their growth there. Removing F9 would allow them to penetrate the market sufficiently enough to make the economies-of-scale work, much as they did in Vegas except that in Vegas it took them awhile, over time. Buying Frontier accelerates the same process to months instead of years. The more interesting aspect of all this to me was the whole Lynx situation. As we all know, WN have never had a commuter operation. Not sure how that was all going to play out. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

That's a very condescending comment coming from a GA pilot. Maybe when you start showing a little respect for those with infinitely more experience, they'll look at your application before it heads for the circular file.

What do you mean by "GA pilot" and "those with infinitely more experience"?

As a point of reference, back in my fractional days I had a week rotation that took me from DFW - LAX - SFO - BFI - RAP (Rapid City, SD) - GFK (Grand Forks) - MDW - CYUL - MVY (Martha's Vinyard) - TEB - SFB (Orlando Sanford). I left a few out, but the point is, I basically circled the CONUS U.S. on one rotation (and somehow managed to miss ASE and EGE for once). How's that for GA experience?

Methinks crashpad woke up on the wrong side of his hot bunk. Satpak's post hasn't been edited, and I see nothing resembling condescension. Seems like a reasonable observation, in fact.

And if we're basing opinions of experience on the list of aircraft flown, it would seem Mr. Crash shouldn't be so quick to attack.

What do you mean by "GA pilot" and "those with infinitely more experience"?

As a point of reference, back in my fractional days I had a week rotation that took me from DFW - LAX - SFO - BFI - RAP (Rapid City, SD) - GFK (Grand Forks) - MDW - CYUL - MVY (Martha's Vinyard) - TEB - SFB (Orlando Sanford). I left a few out, but the point is, I basically circled the CONUS U.S. on one rotation (and somehow managed to miss ASE and EGE for once). How's that for GA experience?

Please place crashpad on your ignore list. He knows not what he speaks of...

Brother be nice :)

Latest resources

Back