• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA "dings" up 321M profit!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
American, Delta and United don't make their new hires pay for a type. Thats the way it should be.

In the early eighties guys would pay for an FE rating to be more competitive for the majors though.

SWA makes a good profit but they still have this bone in their hiring process.

SWA could attract better talent if this type rating requirement was dropped.

Its not a requirement for interviewing. but just like the FE rating in the early eighties, it does make one more competitive.

I won't argue that you guys are the Most profitable airline in History. You have the most stable Airline jobs in the industry. No doubt about it. You are one big happy family full of LUV !

Thanks. But nothing is ever perfect. And SWA is far from being perfect. But a good place to hang your hat.

No reason to brag about your situation though. 10 years down the road and things Could be different. There are plenty of great pilots at the other carriers.

No one likes a braggart. But I see more defending by offensive posters on this forum than anything else. And the constant reminder that things could change, especially in this industry, well is just ignorant to think not everyone is fully aware of this possibility.

Good luck to us all.

American, Delta and United don't make their new hires pay for a type. Thats the way it should be.

SWA makes a good profit but they still have this bone in their hiring process.

SWA could attract better talent if this type rating requirement was dropped.

<< Just my opinion.

I won't argue that you guys are the Most profitable airline in History. You have the most stable Airline jobs in the industry. No doubt about it. You are one big happy family full of LUV !

No reason to brag about your situation though. 10 years down the road and things Could be different. There are plenty of great pilots at the other carriers.

SWA does NOT make anyone pay for a type. Why can't you understand this? To imply that they do is false. The only requirement is that you have the type prior to starting class. I know several of my friends who did NOT pay for the type.

I remember Delta, FedEx, UPS, and others required a FE written or rating prior to class back in the day. Does that mean they were a PFT outfit? I think not.

SWA does NOT make anyone pay for a type. Why can't you understand this? To imply that they do is false. The only requirement is that you have the type prior to starting class. I know several of my friends who did NOT pay for the type.

I remember Delta, FedEx, UPS, and others required a FE written or rating prior to class back in the day. Does that mean they were a PFT outfit? I think not.

So which is it? They do make you have a type or they don't? You can't have it both ways. This Type Rating cost good cold cash you know!

If you come here from the Air Force or Navy or another airline with the type already.....you're good to go... We don't care how you got it, just that ya do....much LUV...- Bobo

this argument is silly and old.

good job WN- you are successful b/c each employee (pilot's included) understands it's up to YOU to keep the culture and profit going-- Everyone on this board thinks that things change and they are complete victims to that change. Things change for a reason--and each of us are not absent from that reason. SWA teaches their employees that herb and colleen and gary cannot make a culture-- but each employee can.
Part of that is they want their employees invested in the company-- and invested greatly (IE: Their own sweat, work, and seniority if they got another company to get the type- and/or their own cold hard cash if they chose to buy it.) Their success is based on the old byrd baggett quote- "there will always be a shortage of people who will do the job right and on time- therefore, success in the long run is fairly simple." But the opportunity to complain at WN is there just like at our jobs-- then they remember how invested they are and how well they are treated=- and they nut up and get the job done. That's the difference and that's why they end up kicking our tails every time they're put to the test.

this argument is silly and old.

good job WN- you are successful b/c each employee (pilot's included) understands it's up to YOU to keep the culture and profit going-- Everyone on this board thinks that things change and they are complete victims to that change. Things change for a reason--and each of us are not absent from that reason. SWA teaches their employees that herb and colleen and gary cannot make a culture-- but each employee can.
Part of that is they want their employees invested in the company-- and invested greatly (IE: Their own sweat, work, and seniority if they got another company to get the type- and/or their own cold hard cash if they chose to buy it.) Their success is based on the old byrd baggett quote- "there will always be a shortage of people who will do the job right and on time- therefore, success in the long run is fairly simple." But the opportunity to complain at WN is there just like at our jobs-- then they remember how invested they are and how well they are treated=- and they nut up and get the job done. That's the difference and that's why they end up kicking our tails every time they're put to the test.

Thats why I call you "The Love Machine". There is just too much Love Going around over there at SWA.

So which is it? They do make you have a type or they don't? You can't have it both ways. This Type Rating cost good cold cash you know!

Seek professional help! Remember in grade school when you had to read something and actually remember certain things about what you just read? The concept of the SWA type requirement isn't that hard! The END!

Answer up kid

rajflyboy, did you pay for your 152/172 time? Your CFI? Your instrument/multi?

Thats PAY FOR TRAINING based on your warped definition. Thankfully you are wrong.

I am betting your first job had some minimum experience requirement like multi time, night, instrument. Right? That is not pay for training.

Pay for training is signing an employment contract. No SWA employee signs a contract. Pay for training is working for a period of time agreed upon by you and your employer to "pay back" training they give you, or else you owe them money. No SWA pilot owes SWA any money.

Another pay for training option is for them to deduct pay to cover their expense in training you. No one at SWA pays to work here. Lastly, Pay for training results in your indebtedness if you leave the job early as in you quit to go somewhere else. No one at SWA will owe a dime if they walk out of class the first day. No one, it's not pay for training kid.

rajflyboy, did you pay for your 152/172 time? Your CFI? Your instrument/multi?

Thats PAY FOR TRAINING based on your warped definition. Thankfully you are wrong.

I am betting your first job had some minimum experience requirement like multi time, night, instrument. Right? That is not pay for training.

Pay for training is signing an employment contract. No SWA employee signs a contract. Pay for training is working for a period of time agreed upon by you and your employer to "pay back" training they give you, or else you owe them money. No SWA pilot owes SWA any money.

Another pay for training option is for them to deduct pay to cover their expense in training you. No one at SWA pays to work here. Lastly, Pay for training results in your indebtedness if you leave the job early as in you quit to go somewhere else. No one at SWA will owe a dime if they walk out of class the first day. No one, it's not pay for training kid.

Come on man. You have to go out and "BUY" a Type rating to work at SWA. Do you think we are Fools. It is what it is. I don't care what you sign or don't sign. Call it Buy a Job, Pay for training, call it what ever you want.

I will leave you guys alone now in your world full of "LUV"

Last edited:
Come on man. You have to go out and "BUY" a Type rating to work at SWA. Do you think we are Fools. It is what it is. I don't care what you sign or don't sign. Call it Buy a Job, Pay for training, call it what ever you want.

I will leave you guys alone now in your world full of "LUV"

Don't work for SWA so no dog in this fight.

Did you not go out and "BUY" your instrument rating also? Assuming your not a military pilot of course.

From the outside looking in, you do appear to be foolish.

Latest resources

Back