• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA "dings" up 321M profit!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wonder How many people went the "Pay for Training" route and spent 6 or 8 G's and then Didn't even get hired??

Thats the whole thing >> You should pay for the Type after you get hired. Other than SWA there is absolutely no good reason to buy a 737 type rating.

How many poor bastards paid the piper and then didn't even get hired.

Many out there agree with me. Thats why most Unions have pushed out the pay for training crap. My company did about 10 years ago (Thankfully)!

The fact that they paid for the type and were not gauranteed the job proves that it is not a pay for training operation. How many things in your life did you pay for to improve your qualifications?

I had to pay for my college........does that make the military a pay for commission operation?

The most important aspect about this thread is that you have no influence on SWA hiring and your opinion does not change or concern anyone!

Wonder How many people went the "Pay for Training" route and spent 6 or 8 G's and then Didn't even get hired??

Thats the whole thing >> You should pay for the Type after you get hired. Other than SWA there is absolutely no good reason to buy a 737 type rating.

How many poor bastards paid the piper and then didn't even get hired.

Many out there agree with me. Thats why most Unions have pushed out the pay for training crap. My company did about 10 years ago (Thankfully)!

I will ask again. What training has one paid for by getting a type rating? What training have I paid SWA for?

And as I said before, I can think of several friends of mine who did NOT pay for the type and work here now.

I interviewed...they said "if you get a type, we will put you into a class" I said - "this is a no-brainer!"

FWIW: I heard 2 classes every month for the next 1.5 years. From a senior Capt. Maybe some of you lucky guys/girls will be pullin gear for the SWA/CA!!

RAJ...I'm starting to get confused...to what are you referring...INDENTURED SERVITUDE???? Some airlines have introduced a similar concept, however, SWA has never embraced, nor approached that concept, as far as I am aware. Chest and FlynGuy are right on w/r to required ratings and possible job offers. Please explain your issues...

Last edited:
It takes a medical degree to explain his issues. Or he isnt very bright and just doesnt grasp the concept of pay for training. Either way a spark is brighter then that guy.

SWA folks: Congratulations for your continued financial success.

Ok, off topic for a minute: A few posts earlier, someone mentioned Ameriflight in the PFT discussion. AMF is not PFT. I recieved tons of training at AMF from 1999-2006 and was paid BY AMF for all of it, including hotel rooms and per diem. Some people get confused because they do sell right-seat time as a side business, but it is in no way connected to the recruiting of line pilots. Sure, some guys that paid went on to get jobs at AMF, but most didn't. Those that did still had to apply and interview just like everyone off the street....

Sidebar over, thanks.

Congrats again SWA!

American, Delta and United don't make their new hires pay for a type. Thats the way it should be.

SWA makes a good profit but they still have this bone in their hiring process.

SWA could attract better talent if this type rating requirement was dropped.

<< Just my opinion.

I won't argue that you guys are the Most profitable airline in History. You have the most stable Airline jobs in the industry. No doubt about it. You are one big happy family full of LUV !

No reason to brag about your situation though. 10 years down the road and things Could be different. There are plenty of great pilots at the other carriers.

Latest resources

Back