• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA "dings" up 321M profit!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You must be they guy that wears his flight suit to the bar.... BIG DOG... or shoud I call you ICE MAN

Good news!! Now before all the bitter betty's come out, I'll just say this for ya...... it's all because of the hedging, swa is doomed when the hedges run out next week, swa can't make money flying planes, swa business plan is flawed, and their pilots are a- holes, yada, yada, yada,.........next

Obviously, with those obscene profits, something's wrong with the business plan. An airline making profits...just not right...sorry guys...we're gonna have to redouble our efforts to find out where we went wrong. This is the airline business, after all, and there's an image to uphold.;)

Total operating revenues for second quarter 2008 increased 11.1 percent to $2.9 billion, compared to $2.6 billion for second quarter 2007. Total second quarter 2008 operating expenses were $2.7 billion, compared to $2.3 billion in second quarter 2007.

The Company ended second quarter 2008 with $5.8 billion in cash and short-term investments.

Even without the hedges we would have made a profit!

$511 million gain from fuel hedging for the quarter. Over the next couple years the plan needs to change if they want to report a profit.

Bottom line, the news was not very good.

Congratulations on another successful reminder of the brilliance of LUV's hedging program. I am glad to see that LUV is already trying to find ways to make up the roughly 250 million loss that would have been shown had the gain from hedging not been realized.

Can't wait to hear all the "experts" on this board claim that SWA is just using slight of hand to turn a profit. Congads SWA for having a company and product you can be proud of. The above mentioned "experts" are green with envy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back