• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA delaying new planes, adding used Westjet birds --article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just for the sake of argument, assuming your 80/100 comparison is correct, the next question to ask is -- how much work did the SWA pilot have to put in to achieve the 100 TFP and how much work did the AirTran pilot have to put in for the 80 BLOCK? If I have to fly say 3 legs average per day to achieve X while you have to fly 5 legs average per day to achieve Y, then even though you might at the end of the month come out with a higher credit hour number, you had to work a lot harder for it. We both have trip and duty rigs, so when it comes down to it, TFP converted to hourly BLOCK rate is the only concrete comparison. Everything else is subjective and may work as an added benefit depending on various factors.

A quick scan of the July PM MCO lines paying 99-100 tfp shows a range of 77-86 block hours (most are around 85 hours with 17-18 days off). The lowest paying lines are 89+ TFP, 73 hours block (not too many of them) and a bunch pay 105/106 doing 84-90 hours of block and 16 days off.

FWIW, I never even look at block hours on the bid lines, since it doesn't really matter, since between TTGA and ELITT, I rarely fly my awarded line. Total pay per day and late report time is what I look for. FWIW, the best paying trips tend to have the least number of legs.

How does that compare with AT?

Last edited:
No, I said that DOH was likely our worst case scenario. Relative was likely best case scenario.

At least you stand by your crazy.

Do you give ANY credence at all to SWA being a higher paying job, with better stability, benefits, more bases & better work environment? You know, the actual factors pilots base their career decisions on.
Any thought that for many years, (5+), pilots left every legacy for southwest?

The quote above is the source of the AT angst. I've been proud and a good pilot at every stop- this isnt a slam on AT- I hope we keep learning from you- but what on earth job-wise would make you think DOH was your WORST CASE scenario, when over a hundred used air tran as a stepping stone to get here?

...but what on earth job-wise would make you think DOH was your WORST CASE scenario, when over a hundred used air tran as a stepping stone to get here?

Dude, that's the type of stuff you really can't verify . Maybe they lived in a Southwest base and were tired of commuting to the ghetto. Maybe they thought flying a classic would be cool. Maybe they didn't like the idea of upgrading to Captain in under three years. Maybe their squadron mates were already there and didn't like how the AirTran guys wouldn't call them "Ace" or "Boomer". A lot of us came here because we wanted to and figured making it a career. I know that's hard for you guys to comprehend, but it's the case for many of us.

Dude, that's the type of stuff you really can't verify . Maybe they lived in a Southwest base and were tired of commuting to the ghetto. Maybe they thought flying a classic would be cool. Maybe they didn't like the idea of upgrading to Captain in under three years. Maybe their squadron mates were already there and didn't like how the AirTran guys wouldn't call them "Ace" or "Boomer". A lot of us came here because we wanted to and figured making it a career. I know that's hard for you guys to comprehend, but it's the case for many of us.

That may be true, but how many left SW to go to AT? Many did the opposite.

You're not seriously gonna argue that a career at AT was in any measurable way equal or better than a career at SW?

All valid points. I know many that had no other choice but AirTran, so it goes both ways to some extent. Let's not go down this road.

You're not seriously gonna argue that a career at AT was in any measurable way equal or better than a career at SW?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friend. To some, they believed it was at least equal. To those living in and around Atlanta, or folks who made Captain quickly, I'd say they viewed moving to Southwest as a lateral (if not backwards) move. It's all about perspective. Now, a 1-3 year FO on reserve? Southwest would definitely be a step up in pay, certain work rules as well. There's the bulk of your AT to SWA transfers. Add in the things I (jokingly) listed and I could see why some would want to leave.

I know a lot of your contemporaries like to bring up the pay all the time, but I'd keep my current contract (and the lower rates that go with it) any day over yours...IF...I could keep the quality of life I'm currently afforded. That's not gonna happen though.

All valid points. I know many that had no other choice but AirTran, so it goes both ways to some extent. Let's not go down this road.

Down what road? You're right. There are those folks. They got lucky and wanted to make this place home. I'm certainly not debating Southwest is not a great company. There's just a lot of sourness in many of our mouths over how the entire process has transpired...SWA folks included, and I can see their side as well.

I think you guys are getting a lot of attitude though because the AT guys and gals are tired of the superiority complex. You could argue points back and forth for years, (some will certainly try) :rolleyes:, but in the end we're going to live with it...or go yank gear for the General. I think you'll see quite a few more people leave than expected for the new American, United, and Delta. Might even see a few for Spirit. That's a big roll of the dice, but if you lived in South Florida, wanted the left seat, and believed in the company then that would make sense. (See? That's a step UP in their eyes.) Many pilots at both companies are contemplating their futures after this mess. Now, could you imagine the chaos (and mass exodus) if we merged with someone like Alaska?:eek:

Do you give ANY credence at all to SWA being a higher paying job, with better stability, benefits, more bases & better work environment? You know, the actual factors pilots base their career decisions on.
Any thought that for many years, (5+), pilots left every legacy for southwest?

Not really. All of those things can change to the polar opposite in a few short years, while seniority is permanent. There's a reason that arbitrators don't pay much attention to those things. And that's the reason that you were so afraid of arbitration.

Not really. All of those things can change to the polar opposite in a few short years, while seniority is permanent. There's a reason that arbitrators don't pay much attention to those things. And that's the reason that you were so afraid of arbitration.

Arbitrators don't?. Then why do arbitrators give credence to widebodies?

Widebodies are an airplane that makes more money, allowing their pilots to make more. We have a network system that makes more money, allowing our pilots to make more. I was definitely unafraid of arbitration. And you're living in a dream world thinking any arbitration would have placed you above your date of higher.

But it's convenient for you to hold that thought.

What I'm afraid of, and you guys prove me right here on this board, is integrating 1800 pilots who don't want to be here and screw up the culture of this place, and how fun it is to work here 90% of the time. You don't believe in it with your self-fulfilled prophecy. Why the hell should I be happy with a bunch of ungrateful whiny b/tches showing up- half of whom placed over me-
Esp after we sold 2/3 of your airplanes.

Nah, flying's great. Just as long as it's no more than about 25 hours a month. :)

Dude, you're fully in the something for nothing, shortcut crowd aren't you?.

Some of us want to be airline pilots, you're a b/tch-titted troll who has done everything he can to do ALPA's bidding and derail this transition.

#norespect

Latest resources

Back