• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joey Bayonne

Registered Tough Guy
Southwest Airlines CFO Laura Wright to retire
Aug 30th, 2012 @ 08:52 am › tmaxon
Laura Wright, who replaced Gary Kelly as chief financial officer in 2004 when Kelly took over as chief executive officer at Southwest Airlines, plans to retire as of Sept. 20, the company said Thursday.

Wright. a 22-year Southwest employee, will be succeeded as CFO and senior vice president of finance by Tammy Romo, currently Southwest’s senior vice president of planning.

“We have an able successor already in place with Tammy, and an amazing finance leadership team that won’t miss a beat,” Wright said in the announcement. “I have a long list of things I’m anxious to tend to, including more time with family. With Gary’s leadership and the strategies in place, I leave with confidence regarding the bright future of this great company.”

“Laura has played a key role in the strong financial positioning of Southwest Airlines during the most challenging and difficult times our industry has ever faced,” said Kelly, Southwest’s CEO, chairman and president. “She has been a leader who is respected throughout our company, our industry and the financial community.”

He added: “Although I will personally miss Laura, I am respectful and understanding of her decision. I am also exceedingly pleased that Southwest has the demonstrated depth of management talent and leadership capability that will enable our shareholders, employees and customers to continue to be proud to be a part of the ongoing Southwest Airlines story of success.”

The airline said Wright will remain with Southwest through the end of the year to help with the transition. Of Romo, Kelly said, “We are fortunate to have a deep and knowledgeable leadership bench. Tammy is an excellent choice based on her strong accounting and technical background, outstanding strategic planning capabilities, and deep knowledge of our Company and overall corporate finance strategy.”

Here’s the summary of Romo’s background from the press release:

She joined Southwest in 1991 as Manager of Financial Reporting and has previously served as Director of Investor Relations, Vice President – Treasurer, Vice President – Controller, and Vice President of Financial Planning.*****Prior to joining Southwest, Romo was an audit manager at Coopers & Lybrand, LLP.

*****And here’s Wright’s bio from Southwest:

Senior Vice President Finance and Chief Financial Officer of Southwest Airlines Co. since July 15, 2004. Previous positions at Southwest: Vice President Finance and Treasurer (June 19, 2001-July 15, 2004); Treasurer (September 1, 1998-June 18, 2001); Assistant Treasurer (May 1995 to September 1998); Director Corporate Finance (October 1990 to May 1995); and Director Corporate Taxation (January 1988 to October 1990). Prior to joining Southwest, was a Tax Manager with Arthur Young & Company in Dallas, Texas.

Categories: Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Uncategorized
Tags: Gary Kelly, Laura Wright, Southwest Airlines, Tammy Romo

She was one of the execs that decided to buy AT, cut their routes and then dump over half of their planes. Enjoy your retirement...we all thank you for helping put together such a great deal for all of us....

She was one of the execs that decided to buy AT, cut their routes and then dump over half of their planes. Enjoy your retirement...we all thank you for helping put together such a great deal for all of us....
She had to the old model was not going to work that much longer

+1

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now SWA will be putting Tony Romo's sister in the vacant CFO role. Good luck with that!!!!! Yikes! :D:laugh::p

How old is she? Often when CFO's leave to "spend more time with their family" they end up working for another company before too long. Give it a few months and we will see if she is retiring or changing jobs.

I don't understand the SWA "culture" yet, but I know it exists. It was speculated that James Parker stepped down as CEO in 2004 because he couldn't get a deal with the flight attendants. I would not be surprised if Laura Wrights "retirement" was acquisition related. Maybe she will be running Allegiant in a few months..

Maybe she's going to PepsiCo. (rumor has it GK was going but the company put out a statement that said he wasn't)! (BTW, they have only ever addressed three Rumors that I'm aware of, publicly. One became true(717's), One we're not sure of, and then GK to Pepsico. All in the last year)

KBB

Latest resources

Back