• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA beats estimates!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What does it mean that SWA's debt load is $800 million and jetBlue is $1.1 Billion? I'm not a financial guy but the paper really liked this stat because SWA is much larger of a company.

JetBlue vs. SWA. Is this the Thrilla in Manila?

I'll take that bet. Wait a minute...What is the bet? Who will be bigger or making a profit in 5 years? I'll bet SWA on both accounts. Big as in revenue, or book value, and profit as in operating or otherwise.

Labor problems I will not hazard a guess. My bet is SWA employees will be happier in 5 years and JetBlue's will be too intimidated to organize. Thus they may end up in a tie here. Keep in mind I am neutral on the union thing. I hate politics.

Last edited:
SWAPoolie said:
What does it mean that SWA's debt load is $800 million and jetBlue is $1.1 Billion? I'm not a financial guy but the paper really liked this stat because SWA is much larger of a company.
I'm not an accountant, but I play one on Flightinfo so.........I believe accountants and Wall St types like to look at what's called the Debt to Equity ratio. The smaller the number, supposedly the less risk.

I would bet Jetblue would be very close to breakeven on operations this quarter(minus

And I will bet that in 5 years you will still be an idiot..

Any takers??

LUV ya mean it :)

lowecur said:
Still a loss on the operations side. $27M balance sheet accounting adjustment, plus Easter falling at the end of March skewed the numbers. Would have been in line with estimates had these two events not shaped the final numbers.

Seriously, what have we done to make you such a downer? Every time we have good news (we beat expectations!) you try to pee in our wheaties (...too many anti SWA post to pick one). Maybe you are a COS and don't like our policy vis a vis buying a second seat. Maybe you we turned down for a job at the GO. Maybe Herb used to take your lunch money ... I don't know what you problem is, but It is getting old. This is a PILOT interview board: have you ever interviewed a pilot? Do you know any pilots? Do you have any clue who is qualified to work at one company and who is not? Can you fly at 190 with a glider rating? What about sport pilot? What does ATP stand for? TT? V1? How fast can a cooconut laden swallow fly? Yeah, I thought so ... STFU.

Really STFU. We've had enough. Have you helped ANYONE get hired ANYWHERE? If you are so smart get a job analysing airlines for the Wsj. Oh wait, they won't return you calls? That is a hint. You are, and shall remain, without a clue. Your predictions are bogus, and your stock picking ability dubious. Keep cheering for JB, buy all the jungle jet stock you want, but give the SWA boards a break. Making a profit is a good thing, exceeding expectations is a great thing. Operational profits are coming (and we are refocused).

OK, you know I don't usually rant - but you are starting to get under my skin. Again, this is a PILOT INTERVIEW BOARD, are you trying to tell folks not to interview at SWA because we exceeded expectations? WTF?

Chapter Two

I just believe the 190 will make the transition through labor turmoil much more palatable for Jetblue

I just wrote all of this junk and in the mean time you posted this.... OMFG!

That's right the 190 is the ginsu knife of airplanes. It slices! It dices! Pilots are HAPPY to fly a 100 seat airplane for less than 50 seat rates! This plane is so great it actually MAKES gas when it flies and pilots like it better that beer or BJs - they'll pay you to fly it!
Dude, get e grip and sell that stock while it is still worth something. Reapply for that job at the GO and this time don't stare at the pretty ladies ta ta's.

Last edited:
ivauir said:
Every time we have good news (we beat expectations!) you try to pee in our wheaties. As GL would say, it's better than shat'n in your wheaties! Really STFU. Oh, my...the language. We've had enough. Okay, and you're not going to take it anymore. Have you helped ANYONE get hired ANYWHERE? No. If you are so smart get a job analysing airlines for the Wsj. I'm an Insurance Agent, let's get real here!. Oh wait, they won't return you calls? Do you have a tap on my phone? That is a hint. You are, and shall remain, without a clue. Your predictions are bogus, and your stock picking ability dubious. Three strikes, looks like I'm out. Keep cheering for JB, buy all the jungle jet stock you want, but give the SWA boards a break. I had no idea this was your private board. Making a profit is a good thing, exceeding expectations is a great thing. Operational profits are coming (and we are refocused). Hey, I'm a cheerleader....just show me.

OK, you know I don't usually rant yes, I'm shocked! - but you are starting to get under my skin. Didn't your mother tell you to bite your tongue? Again, this is a PILOT INTERVIEW BOARD, are you trying to tell folks not to interview at SWA because we exceeded expectations? WTF? No, but people should hear a contrarian view also. To listen to most SWA pilots, you'd think there is nothing but upside. Sorry, but this business is too much of a rollar coaster to believe that fairy tale.

Chapter Two

I just believe the 190 will make the transition through labor turmoil much more palatable for Jetblue

I just wrote all of this junk and in the mean time you posted this.... OMFG!

Let me splain to you Lucy. I tried to point this out to that first parrot I spoke to Snoopy 58. He had a nervous breakdown and still hasn't recovered. By having a two tier pay scale with the 190/320, it allows all newly hired 190 pilots to stabilize both pay scales through the next 3 or 4 years. In other words, their rates will remain stable and probably slightly increase for both a/c in the next 3 or 4 years. If you want to call it a subsidization....be my guest. The 190 is a 100 seat a/c, not a 50 seat RJ. A good way to measure would be pilot seat cost combining 59 190s/50 320s against 100 737s. And you know what's even more amazing, the CASM cost for Jetblue will probably only get bumped by a 1/2 cent, where the RASM will increase greatly because of the shorter routes.

Will you be able to make the same claim with your next contract? Will section 6 be smooth as glass my friend? Will mgt ask for give backs? Listening to all the pilots, they believe that rates will remain stable and they will grow their slice of the pie in other areas. I disagree. Mgt wants you guys/gals to have a lucrative contract and be paid the best in the field, but right now employee cost percentages are substantially higher than most of your competitors. This is not your fathers SWA. Many of the pilots hired in the last few years are former hard-assed union people that see mgt as a shadowy entity that should never be trusted. You guys have a great mgt team, but I think the bloom will come off the rose in the next negotiations. I hope you prove me wrong.

That's right the 190 is the ginsu knife of airplanes. It slices! It dices! Pilots are HAPPY to fly a 100 seat airplane for less than 50 seat rates! This plane is so great it actually MAKES gas when it flies and pilots like it better that beer or BJs - they'll pay you to fly it! Silly boy, it only does half of that.
Dude, get e grip and sell that stock while it is still worth something. Reapply for that job at the GO and this time don't stare at the pretty ladies ta ta's.
I guess having my people call your people for us to do lunch is out of the question.:)

Well, I stared at the pretty lady's ta-tas, and I still got hired. Of course, she was staring at my...

...never mind.

Where to begin with you? I guess with this gem:
By having a two tier pay scale with the 190/320 there will be MASSIve resentment over this, especially given the remarkably low rates for flying the 190. The 190 is a 100 seat a/c, not a 50 seat RJ. My point exactly. Go ahead and compare 59 RJs against 100 737 (isn't that backwards?) Pilots will compare w2s. Talk about taking the bloom off of the rose!

No, but people should hear a contrarian view also They get plenty of that from other pilots. Even a little from our pilots - not everyone wants to do what we do. Your view isn't contratian - just negative.

This is not your fathers SWA - Really? I hadn't noticed that we'd left Texas

lowecur said:
I guess having my people call your people for us to do lunch is out of the question.:)
I had no idea this was your private board

I never said it was, what I said (and it is still true) is that this is a PILOT INTERVIEW BOARD. Your drivel is taking up bandwidth. Find a new hobby.

Many of the pilots hired in the last few years are former hard-assed union people that see mgt as a shadowy entity that should never be trusted.

How could you possibly know anything about who we have hired in the past few years. Im sure we have interviewed a great many "those guys", but have trained relatively few.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back