SWA Baby bennies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SkiMoguls

Can anyone answer how much the insurance is going to cover for my wife's next baby? I think it is United Health Care but not sure.

Just curious ...

ASA's bennies come to 80% and if they're the same, we will have to do a home birth for the next one!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you mean United Healthcare as in the HMO? (actually, it's an EPO, which is better)

I can't remember if United Healthcare does both the EPO and PPO.

Last edited:
I thought the thread was about beanie babies...I had stuff to contribute on that!

Okay, I went and did some searching, and here's what I found out:

Our PPO covers either 85% or 90% of the costs (I don't know which, as it changed this year), after the $300 per family deductible.

There's also the HMO option. I use this one, and I've been very pleased with it. It's actually what's called an EPO - Exclusive Provider Organization. That means you can go to a number of different doctors in a number of different specialities, without needing that primary care physician referral. However, you MUST stay within their list of participating doctors, otherwise they don't pay squat.

But not to worry...the list is very comprehensive.

The benefit of the HMO is no deductible. After your co-pay, all costs are 100% covered. I have a cousin who also works for Southwest, and he and his wife have had two kids while on SWA's health insurance. His wife even commented how little they had to pay. In regards to the HMO (or EPO, as they call themselves), I've checked the costs, and they're very reasonable. You'd get out with all your services for both mom and baby for less than $500, as I estimated it. If you want more info, I'll try and PM some information that I found from the HMO plan regarding maternity and birthing costs.

And last I checked, HMO coverage for your entire family costs you about $22.50 a month out of your paycheck. Not a bad deal at all.

Hope this helps!:D

Thanks! That would be great if you could find out more if you have time...

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
We had our daughter under the HMO EPO in 2000 and it costs us well under $500, including multiple check up copayments of $10. The HMO plan will cover well baby checks and such so it was the only plan we could even consider for a new child that would cover the mostest and bestest for the leastest. My wife was with me at training when we asked. The benefits people can not "Officially" tell you what health plan to sign up for, but "unofficially" they "helped" us choose the HMO EPO. Never looked back and very satisfied. I live in Phoenix, so other parts of country might not be as extensive with docs. Good luck.

We live in Colorado, not even near a SWA city and our baby cost less than a couple hundred bucks. We did a lot of research on doctors, and everyone that was highly recommended was on the HMO list. I would say the HMO is the best way to go. Sure as hell beats my old Tricare coverage.

LUVChild said:
Okay, I went and did some searching, and here's what I found out:

Our PPO covers either 85% or 90% of the costs (I don't know which, as it changed this year), after the $300 per family deductible.

There's also the HMO option. I use this one, and I've been very pleased with it. It's actually what's called an EPO - Exclusive Provider Organization. That means you can go to a number of different doctors in a number of different specialities, without needing that primary care physician referral. However, you MUST stay within their list of participating doctors, otherwise they don't pay squat.

But not to worry...the list is very comprehensive.

The benefit of the HMO is no deductible. After your co-pay, all costs are 100% covered. I have a cousin who also works for Southwest, and he and his wife have had two kids while on SWA's health insurance. His wife even commented how little they had to pay. In regards to the HMO (or EPO, as they call themselves), I've checked the costs, and they're very reasonable. You'd get out with all your services for both mom and baby for less than $500, as I estimated it. If you want more info, I'll try and PM some information that I found from the HMO plan regarding maternity and birthing costs.

And last I checked, HMO coverage for your entire family costs you about $22.50 a month out of your paycheck. Not a bad deal at all.

Hope this helps!:D
Holy smokes! You are one helpful guy. That was sure nice of you to do that research--thanks very much!

Latest resources

Back