• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How did the award go?

Most junior Captain/FO

DOH/Seniority number

Thanks

Most junior Captain/FO:

DOH/Seniority number: CA- Jan '03 FO- Oct '07

Couldn't get seniority number at this time.

Most senior Captain: Jan '82

Most senior F/O: Former AAI guy mixed in with Apr '98 guys

Most senior original Southwest F/O: Jul '02

Most junior ATL CA: #3759 (SWA Jan 2003 new hire)
Most junior ATL FO: #6423 (SWA Jan 2008/AirTran Jan 2005 new hire)

It looks like Southwest Vacancy Bid 13-H and the opening of the SWA ATL base really helped a lot of junior pilots trapped out west get back to the east. There were over 550 voluntary awards and only 22 displaced Captains (no displaced FOs). I was kind of surprised that there were no FO displacements considering 5 bases were reduced by 15 FOs or more.

Also, in Bid 13-H, the 13 most junior CAs will be based in MDW as of Aug 1. BWI even has CAs junior to the most junior CA in OAK now.

I guess the next big question is does SWA start growing ATL immediately like they did after opening LAS and DEN or wait until next year when more AirTran guys have crossed the partition.

ATL isn't going to grow. It's a 'Mini-Base' test concept.

We will see, it's the busiest airport in the world and SW will have a lot of gates there that should all have originating flights in them, somebody has to fly the planes. I think that MDW (their largest crew base) may be the only airport where they will have more gates but I'm not sure about that. It may only be a mini-base until AT is finished and then it might get a lot bigger but who knows. It's still one of many mysteries surrounding the integration of AT and future of SW.

I guess the next big question is does SWA start growing ATL immediately like they did after opening LAS and DEN or wait until next year when more AirTran guys have crossed the partition.

Denver hasn't really grown at all since it opened, and I would expect the same for the ATL for at least a year. I think the company's M.O. with new bases these days is to keep 'em small until they run out the clock for paid moves. Good for them, but another small screw-job for us.

Denver hasn't really grown at all since it opened, and I would expect the same for the ATL for at least a year.
DEN opened October 1, 2012 with 189 crews and has grown to 260 crews in less than a year. Did you expect them to double in size within a year?

Supposedly SWA has already gained the number #1 position with respect to DEN O&D traffic within 7 years of their second try in DEN (I guess most of United's traffic is connections).

Latest resources

Back